Friday 8th December 2023
MKM Stadium

HUL Hull


SWS Swansea

- Days
- Hrs
- Mins
- Secs

8th December
Liam Smith
Image: David Lofthouse/Hull City

Swansea City Under-21s claimed their third Premier League Cup victory to boost their hopes of reaching the knockout stages after a dominant showing against Hull City at the MKM Stadium.

The Swans remain second in Group A, and sit five points clear of third-place Brighton with two games remaining and the top two from each group advancing.

Liam Smith broke the deadlock with three minutes on the clock with a fine finish into the bottom corner, before netting a second of the evening 10 minutes later with a close-range effort.

The visitors went into the break 3-0 up after Kyle Fanning had found his own net from a Swansea corner.

And three more goals followed for the Swans in the second half, with Nathan Tjoe-A-on, Kristian Fletcher and Ruben Davies getting on the scoresheet.

The Tigers pulled a goal back through Jim Simms on the hour mark, but it was only a consolation.

The Swans had come out on top in the reverse fixture at Landore in September thanks to goals from Fletcher (2), Davies and Smith.

They showed three changes to the side that faced Cardiff City on Tuesday with Nathanael Ogbeta, Tjoe-A-On and Dan Watts - who played 90 minutes for the under-18s in their FA Youth Cup victory at Ipswich on Tuesday - coming in for Filip Lissah, Lincoln McFayden and Richard Faakye respectively.

The Swans started brightly, and took their chances from the off, opening the scoring in just the third minute.

Smith would grab his second goal of the season - his first having come against the Tigers in the reverse fixture in September - with a low left-footed finish from the edge of the penalty area.

The Scotsman wasn't done there, and he soon completed his brace just 10 minutes later, firing home from inside the six-yard box. 

Swansea were comfortable from then on, and DC United loanee Fletcher attempted to add to their tally as he sent a strike towards the far corner, but Hull keeper Owen Foster was equal to it.

The third goal came on the half-hour mark, and it was an own goal from the hosts as Fanning diverted the ball into his own net after Smith had delivered a corner into the box.


Kyrell Wilson
Image: David Lofthouse/Hull City

It was an even opening to the second period, but the Swans did fashion the first chance following the restart. Fletcher again testing Hull's Foster in between the sticks with a controlled shot towards the near post. 

But more goals would soon come thick and fast, with two in two minutes. Tjoe-A-On scoree the fourth as a free-kick floated into the penalty area allowed him to convert from close range.

Fletcher got the fifth, and his 17th goal in Swans colours, as he finished off a fine team move with a tap in.

Remy Mitchell was forced into action when Harry Jones almost put the ball into his own net after Bora Aydinlik cut the ball back towards the six-yard line.

But, moments later, the Tigers pulled a goal back through Simms, the striker finding the net after being fed through on goal.

Swans stopper Mitchell  produced another fine one-handed save after Alfie Taylor's volley had looked on course to find the top corner from a Hull set-piece.

The introduction of Zane Myers and Davies brought some fresh legs to the Swans attack, with the duo seeing efforts kept out by Foster.

But the Swans would bet the final goal of the evening after substitute Davies raced through to finish.

Hull City Under-21s: Owen Foster, Kyle Fanning, Ajay Weston, Rocco Coyle, Jevon Mills (Henry Sandat 46'), Alfie Taylor, Joseph Johnson, Raj Palit (Bora Aydinlik 45'), Jim Simms, Nathan Tinsdale, Jake Brown.

Unused Substitutes: George Wilson, Vaughn Covil.


Swansea City Under-21s: Remy Mitchell, Joe Thomas (captain), Nathanael Ogbeta, Mitchell Bates, Harry Jones, Nathan Tjoe-A-On, Liam Smith, Dan Watts, Kristian Fletcher, Cameron Congreve (Jack Stafford 74), Kyrell Wilson.

Unused Substitutes: Archie Matthews.