FULL-TIME: Swans U21s 2-2 Ipswich

4th November 2013
Swans Under-21s continued their development with a 2-2 draw against Ipswich Town at Stebonheath Park.

The Swansea youngsters started emphatically and took the lead through Rory Donnelly inside five minutes.

The in-form striker kept his cool as he went one-on-one with the keeper, calmly slotting the ball into the net.

But in the 24th minute, Jack Marriott got Ipswich back on terms, prodding the ball into the net after a goalmouth scramble.

The home side restored their advantage after several decent opportunities through Lee Lucas.

Lucas took advantage of a goalkeeping an error, hammering the ball home from close range.

But the hammer blow came on the stroke of half-time as Marriott got his second of the half with a sublime effort from 20 yards that gave Gregor Zabret no chance.

SWANSEA CITY U21s: Gregor Zabret, Liam Shephard, Scott Tancock (c), Joseph Jones, Jernade Meade, Josh Sheehan, Lee Lucas, Alex Bray, Kenji Gorre, Kris Scott, Rory Donnelly.

SUBS: Oliver Davies, Ryan Hedges, Alex Gogic, Connor Roberts, Darnel Situ.


IPSWICH TOWN U21s: Michael Crowe, Josh Emmanuelle, Mark Timlin, Amir Berkane, Eoin Wearen, Matt Clarke, Jack Doherty, Byron Lawrence (c), Jack Marriott, Tommy Winter, Jordan Adekunle.

SUBS:Jacob Marsden, Cory Galvin, Ted Bishop, George Clarke.

The Swans got off to a flying start as Rory Donnelly opened the scoring inside five minutes.

After some patient build-up, Liam Shephard put the ball through to Donnelly, who had cleverly curved his run to stay on side.

Straight through on goal, the in-form striker kept his composure and calmly stroked the ball past the Ipswich goalkeeper.

The home side then tested the Ipswich keeper Michael Crowe again as Lee Lucas hit a driven shot goalwards, but Crowe did well to parry away.

In the 22nd minute, Ipswich had a great opportunity to get back on terms after the ball fell to Jack Doherty inside the area, but the Ipswich number 7 hit his shot wide of the target.

But only moments later, in the 24th minute, the visitors made no mistake with their second chance to score as Jack Marriott poked the ball into the net after a goal-line scramble.

With ten left of play in the first-half, the Swans nearly regained their one-goal advantage after an audacious over-head kick from Donnelly went just wide.

After some great work down the right wing by Alex Bray, the Northern Irish striker attempted the spectacular but to no avail.

However, just two minutes later, Lee Lucas restored Swansea's advantage by hammering home from close range after Crowe spilled Kris Scott's cross.

A chance for Donnelly's second and Swansea's third then came virtually straight from the restart.

Inside the area, the striker did brilliantly well to turn his man and fire at the goalkeeper before the rebound came straight back to him, but this time his drilled effort was cleared off the line.

With the last kick of the half, Marriott hit a superb 20-yard strike to double his tally and equalise for his side.

The striker crashed a sublime swerving effort at goal that gave Zabret simply no chance.

HALF-TIME: Swansea City 2-2 Ipswich Town

The first chance of the second-half didn't come for either side until the 59th minute when a defensive mistake from Ipswich allowed Donnelly to capitalise.

The striker did well to round the goalkeeper, but the ball got away from him just as he was about to pull the trigger.

Then, three minutes later, Shephard came close to getting his second in as many games, but his header across goal hit the post.

With 15 minutes left on the clock, Marriott nearly completed his hattrick after he picked up possession in the box.

The striker did well to go round Gregor Zabret, but Swans skipper Scott Tancock did well to prevent Marriott's effort from finding the net.