Swansea City Under-21s Newcastle Premier League

28th September

Swansea City Under-21s held on to secure a hard fought point against Newcastle United at Whitley Park on Monday afternoon.
The Swans defended well in the first-half to keep the score goalless at half-time.
Newcastle striker Ivan Toney broke deadlock for the home side after an hour before the U21s equalised from the penalty spot four minutes later after a foul on Oliver McBurnie - the striker stepped-up to convert and score his sixth of the season.
The Swans defended well late on to secure their first draw in Premier League Division Two as both sides shared the spoils.

Swansea City Under-21s made six changes to the team that beat Wolves last Monday in Premier League Division Two.
Goakeeper Josh Vickers and defender Raheem Hanley returned to the starting line-up after recovering from injury - Henry Jones and Kyle Copp also come back into the side.
Meanwhile, Keston Davies and Tom Holland made their first starts of the season replacing Joe Rodon in defence and the injured Daniel James on the wing.
Liam Shephard took on the Swans captaincy in the absence of Josh Sheehan who joined League Two side Yeovil Town on loan.
Newcastle also made six changes to their team that drew 2-2 with West Ham last week - they included three overage players with first-team experience - Irish international goalkeeper Rob Elliot, French midfielder Syvain Marveaux and 21-year-old Gael Bigirimana. 

NEWCASTLE U21s: Rob Elliot, Jamie Sterry (Lewis Suddick, 74), Gideon Adu-Peprah (Liam Gibson, 20) Gael Bigirimana, Michael Newberry, Kyle Cameron, Jamie Cobain, Jack Hunter, Ivan Toney, Sylvain Marveaux (Sean Longstaff, HT) Dan Barlaser
SUBS NOT USED: Ben Pollock, Paul Woolston

SWANS U21s: Josh Vickers, Liam Shephard (capt) (Daniel Alfei, 76), Raheem Hanley, Adnan Maric, Keston Davies, Alex Gogic, Kyle Copp, Henry Jones, Oliver McBurnie, Tom Holland (Botti Biabi, 67), Ryan Hedges 
SUBS NOT USED: Alex Ramsay, Thomas Dyson, Joe Rodon

Swansea City Under-21s started brightly at Whitley Park when Ryan Hedges raced down the left wing in the first few minutes - his shot saved by Irish international Rob Elliot in the Newcastle goal.
At the other end, Josh Vickers kept out a chance from midfielder Jamie Cobain before Swans defender Keston Davies - making his first start of the season for the development squad - put in a last ditch tackle to deny Magpies striker Ivan Toney.
Vickers was called into action again halfway through the first-half, the 19-year-old diving to his near post to keep out a curling corner from French winger Sylvain Marveaux before Toney flashed a dangerous ball across the face of goal for the home side just after the half-hour mark.
The best chance for Swansea fell to Oliver McBurnie five minutes before the break, Elliot saving the Scots shot on the line to keep the score level after good build-up play from Liam Shephard and Kyle Copp.

HALF-TIME: Newcastle United U21s 0-0 Swans U21s

Newcastle continued to pressure the Swansea defence in the second-half with Josh Vickers keeping out two chances from winger Dan Barlaser soon after the restart.
But, the home side broke the deadlock just after the hour mark when young striker Ivan Toney raced onto a through ball to lob Vickers in the Swans net.
However, it was not long before the Under-21s were back on level terms, Oliver McBurnie converting from the penalty spot after the striker was fouled in the area.
Both sides battled in midfield but could not find a winning goal helping Swansea grind out a draw and take a point at Whitley Park.