Swansea City Under-23s Bristol City

23rd February 2017

A disappointing 4-0 defeat at home to Bristol City dented the Under-23s hopes of progressing to the last-16 in the Premier League Cup on Thursday.
Despite chances in front of goal the Swans found themselves a goal down at the break thanks to Opi Edwards opener.
Bristol doubled their lead with fifteen minutes to go before two late goals added to a frustrating afternoon for the Swans at Landore.
The result leaves the side third in Group A, with their final group game now a must win encounter against the Robins in two weeks time.

Gary Richards and Cameron Toshack made four changes to the side that beat Norwich at Landore in Premier League 2 on Monday.
Lewis Thomas came back into goal after helping the side to victory over Southampton last week. Meanwhile defender Joe Rodon recovered from a hamstring injury to return to the starting XI.
Midfielder's Jack Evans and Kenji Gorre were the sides only other changes as the Under-23s look for their third win in Group A.

SWANS U23s: Lewis Thomas, Connor Roberts, Aaron Lewis, Jack Evans, Keston Davies (Capt), Joe Rodon (Ryan Blair, 64), Daniel James, Adnan Maric, Jordan Garrick, Adam King, Kenji Gorre.
UNUSED SUBS: Mael Davies, Gregor Zabret (GK), Marco Dulca, Keiran Evans.

BRISTOL CITY U23s: Jojo Wollacott, Charlie Harris, George Nurse, Harvey Smith (Cameron Pring), Kodi Lyons-Foster, James Morton, Joe McNulty, Opi Edwards (Lloyd Kelly), Kel Akpobrie (Freddie Hinds), Jake Andrews, Jonny Smith.
SUBS: Dennis Begovic,Tom Richards.

Bristol City started brightly and could have taken the lead inside the opening two minutes as Swans goalkeeper Lewis Thomas denied a shot from winger Jonny Smith before a follow up effort from striker Kel Akpolbrie seconds later was punched clear.
At the other end Daniel James' through ball almost released Jordan Garrick before Robins keeper Jojo Wollacott collected before the Swans striker could pounce.
City did take the lead ten minutes in as a cross from left found midfielder Opi Edwards unmarked at the far post to smash into the roof of the net from two-yards.
Swansea battled in midfield as they looked to get back on level terms and had better chances in the first half as Kenji Gorre tested Wollacott with a shot from 25-yards before Garrick dispossessed Brisol's defender to race through on goal only to see his shot denied inside the area.
The home side continued to keep up the pressure on the Robins' defence as a searching corner from full-back Aaron Lewis found Joe Rodon in the box, however center-backs saw his powerful header tipped away by Wollacott once again.
City's keeper denied a shot from James later in the half, but Swansea could not find an equaliser before the break.

HALF TIME: Swans U23s 0 - 1 Bristol City U23s

Swansea battled to find a way back into the game in the opening stages of the second half as Bristol's defence limited their chances in front of goal.
Daniel James used his pace on the hour mark beat his man to the byline before firing a searching cross for Garrick in front of goal, only for the wingers' ball to be cut out by a last-ditch tackle from the Robins defence.
Moments later Lewis cut a ball back for Roberts, but the full-backs deflected shot from just outside the area was saved before Gorre had an effort from 25-yards also denied.
The young Swans continued to create chances in the final third, but Bristol City extended their lead when a free-kick from the right flank found its way past Thomas thanks to an unfortunate deflection.
Swansea hit the crossbar soon after as they looked to get something from the game, but City added a third inside the final ten minutes as substitute Freddie Hinds broke on the counter-attack to beat the defence and slot home from close range.
The Robins rounded off a disappointing afternoon to capitalise on a defensive error and net a fourth just before the final whistle.