CLASSIC MATCHES - Cardiff 3-5 Swans

28th October 2013

With the Welsh derby fast approaching, the build-up begins to the first all-Welsh Barclays Premier League encounter.

Each day this week - right the way up until Sunday's hotly anticipated fixture - we will bring you a classic derby encounter from over the years.

Murray off as Swans sink City

In one of the most sensational games seen at Ninian Park, Swansea Town ousted holders Cardiff City from the Welsh Cup after trailing by three goals in this fifth-round replay.

The pivotal moment in the game came after Cardiff's centre-half Don Murray was sent off in the 62nd minute, just as the home side appeared to be cruising to a comfortable victory.

Cardiff took the lead after 20 minutes against the run of play. King started the move off by cutting across the pitch before passing to Farrell.

He put the ball into Gareth Williams, whose deflected shot beat Hayes.

Six minutes later, the Swans went close to equalising, but Evans' tremendous shot crashed off the upright.

With 35 minutes played, Cardiff increased their lead, courtesy of good work from Farrell.

The winger outwitted Williams and Ward before playing the perfect pass for Johnston to hit home.

Swansea got four corners in as many minutes at the start of the second half before Cardiff went three up in the 54th minute through Johnston.

Eight minutes later, an the turning point came when referee Leo Callaghan sent off Don Murray for an alleged head-butt on Swansea's Jimmy McLaughlin.

Within seconds, the Swans had reduced the deficit.

Thomas put a long ball to Keith Todd, whose shot from the edge of the area flew past Davies.

And with 14 minutes left on the clock, the Swans were in the game with a vengeance when Todd volleyed home his second, after latching onto Humphries' cross.

Cardiff's handicap of only have ten men saw the Swans produce a tremendous extra effort, and they were rewarded for their hard work when Williams grabbed the equaliser after good work on the wing by Humphries.

Cardiff almost snatched a winner in the dying seconds of normal time, but Johnston just failed to connect with Greg Farrell's cross.

Then Swansea took the lead for the first time in the eighth minute of extra-time after McLaughlin's shot slipped through the grasp of Davies and into the net.

Three minutes later, the Swans finished off a scintillating game with their fifth goal as Evans headed home an Allchurch free-kick.

SWANSEA TOWN: G. Heyes, R. Evans, D. Ward, G. Thomas, B. Purcell, H. Williams, W. Humphries, J. McLaughlin, K. Todd, I. Allchurch, B. Evans.

CARDIFF CITY: L. Davies, G. Coldrick, C. Baker, G. Williams, D. Murray, B. Hole, G. Farrell, G. Johnston, G. Andrews, T. Harkin, P. King.