Dyer back in contention, says Clement

9th October 2017
First team

Paul Clement says Nathan Dyer is back in contention for first-team action some eight months after his last Swansea City game.

Dyer has not made a senior appearance since rupturing his Achilles in the first few minutes of the Swans’ home win over Leicester City back on February 12.

Since then, the experienced winger has spent many hours away from the spotlight trying to rebuild his fitness after suffering what was a very serious injury.

But the good news for all parties is that Dyer is back in the hunt for a first-team place ahead of Saturday’s clash with Huddersfield Town.

“Nathan is available for selection now,” said Swans boss Clement.

“He has played two games for the under-23s and he is training well.

“It has got to the point now where he can be considered for action.”

Dyer played in five of the Swans’ first seven games following Clement’s appointment at the beginning of January.

He made his playing comeback for the under-23s in their match against Manchester City on September 22, when he featured for just under an hour.

The former Southampton man played 90 minutes for the development squad the following weekend, scoring twice in a 6-0 victory over Celtic.

He will now battle the likes of Wayne Routledge and Luciano Narsingh for opportunities in Clement’s team.