FAW Youth Cup Final: Cardiff 1 Swans 3

30th April 2015

The Under-19s lifted the FAW Youth Cup for the sixth straight season following victory over Cardiff City.
The Swans got off to a perfect start at the Cardiff City Stadium as Keston Davies headed home inside two minutes.
The Bluebirds reacted well and goalkeeper Lewis Thomas had to be alert to deny Tyler Roche on two occasions.
But the Swans grabbed a second goal just moments after the interval through Owain Jones, before the striker scored his second with a solo effort on 74 minutes.
Cardiff pulled one back late on through substitute Eli Phipps, but the Swans were not to be denied a sixth successive Welsh Cup crown.

CARDIFF: Joe Massaro, Dylan Rees, Rhys Abbruzzese, Robbie Patten (capt), Ashley Baker, Thomas James, Abdi Noor (Lloyd Humphries, 85), Jamie Veale, Elvis Menayese (Eli Phipps, 75), Macauley Southam (Jamie Bird, 64), Tyler Roche.

SUBS: Scott Coughlan, Rollin Menayese.

SWANS: Lewis Thomas, Aaron Lewis, Connor Roberts, Adnan Maric, Keston Davies (capt), Joe Rodon, Stephen Fallon (Alex Samuel, 75), Dylan Thomas, Owain Jones (Tom Dyson, 83), Kyle Copp, Dan James.

SUBS: Gareth Owen, Tom Atyeo, Cai Owens.

Both teams had lifted the trophy on eight occasions each coming into this showpiece, while the Swans had enjoyed a dominant route to the final; scoring 26 goals in just four games and conceding just once.
And they got off to a perfect start by taking the lead inside two minutes as Kyle Copp's inswinging free kick was met by skipper Keston Davies, who planted a firm header past Joe Massaro.
That goal sparked a period of early dominance for Swansea, with Dan James seeing a shot blocked after a quick counter attack.
However, Cardiff responded well as the first half progressed; the lively Tyler Roche seeing a point-blank effort blocked by Lewis Thomas, while the goalkeeper was called into action again shortly after as he did well to parry a fierce drive from the aforementioned Roche.
Cardiff were presented with a great chance to level nine minutes before the break when Elvis Menayese was put through on goal but the striker dragged his shot wide from 12 yards out.

Half-time: Cardiff 0 Swans 1

Neither side made any changes at the break, but it was the Swans who enjoyed another quick start as they doubled their lead four minutes after the restart.
After good work down the left edge of the box by Dan James created a chance for Connor Roberts, the full-back's low drive was parried by Joe Massaro before Owain Jones prodded home the rebound from close range.
Cardiff looked to respond as Abdi Noor and Tyler Roche both had chances outside the box, but on both occasions the ball flew wide of goal.
An ever better chance presented itself on 71 minutes as the ball found its way to Elvis Menayese inside the box, but the striker's low shot was well saved by Thomas.
And that proved crucial as the Swans went up the other to grab a third goal just three minutes later.
Owain Jones did well on the right edge of the penalty area before seeing his low effort beat Massaro at his near post.
Cardiff did pull a goal back in the final minute through substitute Eli Phipps, but the Swans weren't to be denied their their sixth straight Welsh Cup title.