FAW Youth Cup: Swans 7 West End 4

9th May

Swans Under-19s secured their fourth consecutive Welsh Cup crown with an emphatic performance against West End at the Liberty Stadium.

In an entertaining game, Tony Pennock's side found themselves 4-1 up at half time through goals from James Loveridge, Henry Jones, Corey Francis and Alex Samuel.

Loveridge helped himself to two more after the restart to seal a fine hat-trick, before West End hit back twice through goals from Ryan Thomas and Richard Brain.

Liam Shephard scored a superb seventh for the home side as his shot flew into the top corner, before West End found the net once more in stoppage time courtesy of Kyle Copp's own goal.

Swans: Oliver Davies, Liam Shephard, Connor Roberts (Luke Llewellyn, 63), Sam Evans (Connor Peters, 63), Joseph Jones (Thomas Atyeo, 79), Scott Tancock (capt), James Loveridge, Henry Jones, Alex Samuel, Corey Francis, Kyle Copp

Subs: Lewis Moore, Thomas Atyeo, Luke Llewellyn, Connor Peters, Alex Bray

West End: Mathew Withrington, Lewis Eynon, Liam Cory (Will Kheo, 50), Adam Robbins, Sam Harrison, Josh Chanda (Jack Blackburn, 65), Richard Brain, Colin Harris (capt), Andrew Trick (Luke Allen, 75), Ryan Thomas, Ashleigh Curtis

Subs: Will Kheo, Luke Allen, Ricky Tomkins, Jack Blackburn, Ben Lynch

On a chilly evening at the Liberty, the Swans couldn't have got off to a better start as they took the lead after just five minutes.

Henry Jones played a wonderful ball through the inside right channel for James Loveridge and the winger did the rest with a cool finish into the bottom corner.

However, the lead lasted less than a minute as West End hit back when Ashleigh Curtis got the better of Scott Tancock inside the box before slotting home after Oliver Davies saved his initial effort.

The early flurry of goals continued straight after as Swansea restored their advantage when Loveridge crossed for Corey Francis to head home from six yards out.

And Tony Pennock's side extended their lead on 14 minutes when Henry Jones curled home a delightful free kick from the left corner of the box.

After an eventful start to the game the Swans settled into their passing rhythm and were causing West End all sorts of problems as Loveridge and Alex Samuel both shot wide.

And Pennock's side did come close to adding a fourth on the half hour mark as Kyle Copp's right-foot shot beat the keeper but came back off the post.

The attacks kept coming and Sam Evans did well on the right flank, cutting inside to set up Samuel but his curling effort just shaved the right hand post with Mathew Withrington beaten.

The Swans should have added a fourth just before half time when a defensive mix-up allowed Corey Francis to latch onto the loose ball but he could only find the side-netting with the goal gaping.

But they weren't to be denied as just a minute later they extended their lead.

Another defensive misjudgement gave Samuel the chance to get the better of Withrington before tucking the ball into an empty net.

And it could have been five on the stroke of half time when Loveridge saw his effort come back off the frame of the goal.

Half time: Swans Youth 4 West End 1

The Swans picked up where they left off at the start of the second half as they grabbed a fifth just five minutes after the restart as James Loveridge tucked home his second of the evening after a poor clearance at the back.

The winger spurned a good chance to seal his hat-trick shortly after but he wasn't to be denied a treble as he gathered Francis's fine pass before slamming past Withrington.

Despite the scoreline, West End continued to press and they were rewarded for their efforts with a second goal on 65 minutes as Ryan Thomas saw his half volley fly past Oliver Davies.

The game was now becoming increasingly stretched, and West End found themselves on the scoresheet once more on 74 minutes as captain Colin Harries set up Richard Brain to curl into the top corner.

And they could have scored a fourth with ten minutes to play as Harris played in Brain, but the midfielder saw his effort loop a fraction over the crossbar.

At the other end, Copp saw two efforst superbly kept out by Withrington, but the goalkeeper had no chance on 83 minutes when Liam Shephard struck an unstoppable shot from 25 yards that flew into the top corner.

However, despite a late own goal from Kyle Copp, the Swans were not to be denied a fourth consecutive Welsh Cup crown in what has been a fantastic achievement for everyone involved in the Youth department.