FULL-TIME: Newcastle 1 Swans 2

19th April 2014

An injury-time penalty from Wilfried Bony claimed a vital three points for Swansea City as they came from behind to beat Newcastle United 2-1 at St James' Park.
It proved a tense finish as substitute Marvin Emnes made the most of Vurnon Anita's miss-kick before the Dutchman was brought down inside the box by Cheick Tiote.
Bony coolly slotted home into the top corner with just seconds remaining of the two minutes of added on time.
The Swans had fallen behind to Shola Ameobi's strike after just 23 minutes, but Bony headed home Ben Davies' corner on the stroke of half-time.
Both teams had their chances after the break, but it came down to Emnes' late involvement and Bony's cool finish - his 22nd of the season - from the penalty spot to clinch a hugely important three points.
Victory meant the Swans moved up to 13th and six points clear of third-bottom Cardiff with three games to go.

The Swans made two changes to their starting XI.
With Chico Flores suspended, fellow countryman Jordi Amat slotted into central defence to partner skipper Ashley Williams while Dutch international Jonathan de Guzman replaced Nathan Dyer on the right wing.

NEWCASTLE:Tim Krul, Fabricio Coloccini (capt), Mike Williamson, Paul Dummett,  Vurnon Anita, Dan Gosling (Adam Armstrong, 81), Cheick Tiote, Yoan Gouffran, Luuk de Jong (Loic Remy, 40), Papiss Cisse (Mathieu Debuchy, 21), Shola Ameobi.
SUBS: Rob Elliot, Massadio Haidara, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, Steven  Taylor.

SWANS: Michel Vorm, Angel Rangel, Jordi Amat, Ashley Williams (capt), Ben Davies, Leon Britton, Jonjo Shelvey, Pablo Hernandez (Marvin Emnes, 81), Jonathan de Guzman, Wayne Routledge (Kyle Bartley, 90), Wilfried Bony.
SUBS: Gerhard Tremmel, Neil Taylor, Jay Fulton, Nathan Dyer, David Ngog.

The Swans settled quickly into this encounter on a sunny yet cold day at St James' Park.
They made the first threat via Pablo Hernandez, who had latched onto Jonathan de Guzman's pass down the right, but the Spaniard's cross along the face of goal failed to find a team-mate.
The Swans pushed again and when Angel Rangel's long throw was nodded into the path of Jonjo Shelvey, the midfielder's headed attempt deflected off Cheick Tiote and out for a corner.
The visitors continued to probe and Wilfried Bony was denied by Mike Williamson after the striker was found by de Guzman's cross just six yards out.
Newcastle were forced into an early change as Mathieu Debuchy replaced Papiss Cisse, who appeared to be suffering with an ankle injury.
While the Swans were making the early threats, Newcastle stunned the visitors by scoring with their first real attempt on goal after 23 minutes.
After Shola Ameobi nodded on keeper Tim Krul's long free-kick, Luuk de Jong's neat inside pass found Ameobi, and the striker held off Jordi Amat and then Ben Davies before his shot on the turn rolled past Michel Vorm.
Then, bizarrely, there was another change as referee Chris Foy - who had taken a blow to the face earlier in the game courtesy of Shelvey's deflected strike - was replaced by fourth official Anthony Taylor.
The Swans continued to probe, and when Bony robbed possession off Tiote, the striker unleashed a 25-yard effort that flew high and wide of the top corner.
Newcastle had to make another substitution shortly after as Loic Remy came on for the injured de Jong with five minutes left of the half.
And the hosts created a decent opportunity before the break as Debuchy's deep cross found Yoan Gouffran at the back post, but his tame header was easily collected by Vorm.
But the Swans got back onto level terms inside the three minutes of added on time as Ben Davies' corner found the leaping Bony, who nodded home from six yards.

HALF-TIME: Newcastle 1 Swans 1

Newcastle made the first threats after the restart as Gosling saw his volley touched wide by Vorm, before the midfielder's cross to Remy saw the Frenchman slice wide from ten yards.
Gosling was again involved as he headed wide from a Debuchy cross and then Vurnon Anita scuffed wide as the hosts continued to push.
The Swans then came more into the game, with Bony failing to keep his header down from a de Guzman cross while Pablo Hernandez scuffed wide just 12 yards out after Newcastle failed to clear their lines.
At the other end, Ameobi saw his low shot easily collected by Vorm before a swift counter saw de Guzman's dipping shot drop onto the top of the net after Angel Rangel teed him up.
Garry Monk made a change with ten minutes to go as Marvin Emnes came on for Hernandez, while Newcastle made their final sub as Adam Armstrong replaced Gosling.
And Emnes was straight into the action as his threaded pass sent Bony in on goal, but Tim Krul raced out to clear the danger and prevent the striker.
Both sides went search of a winner as the game headed into two minutes of added on time.
And the Swans had a golden opportunity as Anita miskicked a clearance and Emnes ran towards goal. The Dutchman got into the box and was taken down by Tiote.
Stand-in referee Taylor pointed to the spot, and Bony stepped up to slot into the top corner with seconds left.
It was perfect timing for the Swans, who held on for the remaining moments to claim a massive victory in their quest to stay up.