FULL-TIME: Swans 3 Cardiff 0

8th February 2014

The Swans got Garry Monk's reign as head coach off to the best possible start as they claimed derby day revenge on Cardiff City with a 3-0 win at the Liberty.
After a goal-less first half, the Swans were quick out of the blocks after the restart as Pablo Hernandez came off the bench to set up Wayne Routledge, who found the bottom corner in the 47th minute.
It was all one-way traffic from then on as the scorer turned provider as Routledge crossed for Nathan Dyer, and the winger dived in to nod home in the 78th minute.
Things got better for the home side as Wilfried Bony headed home his 17th goal of the season with four minutes to go following Hernandez's delivery from a free-kick.
Victory sealed, revenge gained.
It was the perfect start for Monk, whose side rose to the top half of the table with 27 points from 25 games, with a trip to Stoke City next up on Wednesday.

The Swans made four changes to the starting XI.
Michel Vorm made his first appearance since December 15 while Angel Rangel returned to right-back in place of Dwight Tiendalli.
Leon Britton got the nod in midfield while new signing Marvin Emnes made his first appearance since arriving on loan from Middlesbrough.
Alejandro Pozuelo missed out with a hip injury while Jonjo Shelvey and Michu were also sidelined.

SWANS: Michel Vorm, Angel Rangel, Chico Flores, Ashley Williams (capt), Ben Davies, Leon Britton, Jonathan de Guzman (Jose Canas, 68), Marvin Emnes (Pablo Hernandez, ht), Nathan Dyer (Neil Taylor, 89), Wayne Routledge, Wilfried Bony.
SUBS: Gerhard Tremmel, Jordi Amat, Roland Lamah, David Ngog.

CARDIFF: David Marshall, Declan John, Steven Caulker (capt), Ben Turner, Fabio (Kevin McNaughton, 69), Peter Whittingham, Gary Medel, Kim Bo-Kyung, Wilfried Zaha (Jordan Mutch, 77), Craig Bellamy, Kenwyne Jones (Fraizer Campbell, 56).
SUBS: Joe Lewis, Juan Cala, Craig Noone, Mats Daehli.

The Swans made their attacking intentions clear from the first whistle, and just 50 seconds in Marvin Emnes slid through a pass for Wayne Routledge into the box, but the winger's tame shot was easily dealt with by David Marshall.
The Cardiff keeper was in action again soon after, and when Wilfried Bony beat him to the ball inside the box, Marshall's hand just managed to clear the danger despite the home appeals for a penalty as the striker hit the deck.
At the other end, Kenwyne Jones glanced Craig Bellamy's cross wide, but it was a brief respite as a well-worked move saw Leon Britton tee up Jonathan de Guzman, but the Dutch international blazed his effort high from 15 yards.
Cardiff replied with two opportunities in quick succession as firstly, Peter Whittingham found himself in space in the box, but as he slipped in came Ashley Williams to clear the danger.
Then it took another intervention from the Swans and Wales skipper as he denied Bellamy inside the box after the latter had worked a neat one-two with Declan John.
Michel Vorm had to be alert to deal with a powerful volley from Peter Whittingham, and then an inviting cross along the face of goal from Nathan Dyer failed to find a white shirt.
The Swans kept probing, and de Guzman flashed his header wide following a curling Angel Rangel cross and then Routledge again fired straight at Marshall following some persistence from Ben Davies in what proved to be the final act of the half.

HALF-TIME: Swans 0 Cardiff City 0

The Swans made a change at the break, with Pablo Hernandez on for Emnes.
And it paid off in the 47th minute for Garry Monk's side as the Spanish international slid through a pass for Routledge, and he raced in on goal before finding the bottom corner via the far post.
Cardiff then made a change of their own as Kenwyne Jones was replaced by Fraizer Campbell.
But the Swans continued their fine start to the half as Dyer raced in on goal and from a central position - some 20 yards out - he curled his bouncing shot just past the post.
Leon Britton then saw his 25-yard volley easily collected by Marshall before Bony's own volley was deflected wide for a corner.
Monk made his second change, Jose Canas taking the place of de Guzman while Kevin McNaughton came on in place of Fabio for Cardiff.
Dyer then tried his luck from 25 yards with a rasping drive, but Marshall let the rising effort fly just over the crossbar.
The visitors made their final change in the 77th minute with Jordan Mutch on for Wilfried Zaha.
But it was the Swans who were celebrating a minute later as Routledge's cross met Dyer, and the winger dived in to head into the bottom corner.
And thing got even better with four minutes to go as the Swans put the result without doubt.
Hernandez's free-kick - awarded after John had fouled Dyer - found Bony, and the club-record signing rose highest to nod home from ten yards.
It was pure ecstasy for the Swans, who sent Neil Taylor on for Dyer for the few remaining minutes.
And it was a win that sent them soaring up to tenth in the table.