FULL-TIME: Swans Academy 3 Cardiff 1

19th March
A wonder strike from Josh Sheehan helped Swansea City Academy on their way to their fifth consecutive FAW Youth Cup final with a 3-1 victory over rivals Cardiff City.

The Swans, who have won the domestic competition for the past four years running, opened the scoring in the 28th minute when Ryan Hedges capitalised on a poor back pass by Tom Burridge before coolly finishing past Joe Massaro.

Just after the midway point, Cardiff levelled the scores when Abdi Noor hit home a fierce half-volley, but the Swans regained their lead just ten minutes later when Sheehan hit a sublime 45-yard effort past the Cardiff goalkeeper.

Sheehan spotted Massaro off his line before hitting a stunning strike on the bounce over the top of the 'keeper and straight into the net.

Swansea's victory was secured with ten minutes left on the clock when substitute Kyle Copp converted from the spot after being fouled inside the box by David Tutonda.

SWANSEA CITY ACADEMY: Oliver Davies, Liam Shephard, Tom Atyeo, Jordan Sherman, Connor Roberts, Adam King, Josh Sheehan ©, Alex Bray, Kris Scott, Kenji Gorré, Ryan Hedges.

SUBS: Gregor Zabret, Corey Francis, Connor Peters, Pau Morer, Kyle Copp.

CARDIFF CITY: Joe Massaro, Dylan Rees, David Tutonda, Tom Burridge, Curtis Watkins, Brad Wickham, Robbie Patten, Ben Watkins, Jake Watkins, Abdi Noor, Tyler Roche.

SUBS: Jamie Veale, Macauley Southam, Yora Enzam, Eli Phipps, Liam Matthews. 

It took until the 20th minute for the game to see its first real chance on goal as Abdi Noor charged through on goal before striking a fierce effort against the crossbar.

But the Swans responded to the threat in perfect fashion as Ryan Hedges capitalised on Tom Burridge's poor back pass to give the Swans a first-half lead.

After making the most of Burridge's slip-up, Hedges did superbly to turn his marker before striking low past Joe Massaro into the corner of the net.

And the young striker's opener seemed to breathe life into the Swans as Kenji Gorré went close to doubling Swansea's advantage just minutes later. Cutting in from the left flank, the winger rifled a shot at goal, but this time Massaro was equal to the effort. 

The Swans ended the first period on the front foot, with Massaro coming to Cardiff's rescue on several occasions.

The Cardiff goalkeeper pulled off a fine triple save to deny Kris Scott, Alex Bray and Adam King. Massaro first denied Scott's fierce strike from range, before parrying away rebounds from Bray and King.

But Swansea's attacking was relentless as they went in search of a crucial second goal. Josh Sheehan nearly capped off a fine flowing move by Cameron Toshack's side, only to see his long-range strike go narrowly wide of the target.

HALF-TIME: Swansea City 1-0 Cardiff City

The young Swans started the second period as they ended the first as Gorré and Hedges both had chances to extend the youngsters' lead. 

Gorré had a great opportunity on the edge of the area but blazed over before good handling by Massaro denied Hedges from doubling his and Swansea's tally from a close-range header.

But in the 54th minute, Noor put Cardiff back on terms when he smashed home the equaliser on the half-volley. The ball broke loose to the winger inside the box, who struck fiercely across goal into the far corner of the net.

However, the Swans regained their lead just ten minutes later through a moment of pure genius from Sheehan. From 45-yards out, the young midfielder spotted Massaro off his line before hitting a sublime strike on the bounce over the goalkeeper and into the net.

With just under ten minutes left on the clock, the Swans secured victory when substitute Kyle Copp converted from the spot after he was fouled inside the box. 

David Tutonda, who had already received a yellow card, received his marching orders, while Copp smashed his penalty straight down the middle to send the Swans through to their fifth consecutive FAW Youth Cup final.