FULL-TIME: Swans U18s 2 Cardiff U18s 0

9th January 2015

A goal in each half from Owain Jones and Dylan Thomas gave the Under-18s a deserved victory over Cardiff City at Landore.
The home side took the lead midway through the first half when Jones coolly slotted past Joe Massaro, while Kyle Copp saw a second-half penalty saved by the goalkeeper.
Further chances followed for hosts but they sealed the win late on when Dylan Thomas hit a fine 25-yard half volley into the top corner.

SWANS U18s: Lewis Thomas, Aaron Lewis, Cai Owens, Adnan Maric, Keston Davies (Cameron Gilchrist, 85), Joe Rodon, Stephen Fallon, Dylan Thomas, Owain Jones, Kyle Copp, Dan James.

SUBS NOT USED: Gareth Owen, Jordan Sherman, Tom Dyson, Ashleigh Harries.

CARDIFF U18s: Joe Massaro, Ash Baker, Dylan Rees, Robbie Patten (capt), Sam Williams, Rollin Menayese, Jake Watkins (Abdi Noor, 55), Jamie Veale (Will Taylor, 82), Eli Phipps (Jamie Bird, 76), Chris Toonga, Elvis Menayese.

SUBS NOT USED: Scott Coughlan, Shane Parry.

Both sides had enjoyed a break from competitive action over the Christmas and New Year period, while the two teams were also looking to pick up where they left off in 2014.
The Swans suffered their first defeat in nine matches with a 2-1 reverse at Millwall just before the festive break, while Cardiff had lost just once in their last eight coming into this fixture.
But after a slow opening to the game, in which the wet and windy conditions payed their part, it was the home side who broke the deadlock.
Dylan Thomas capitalised on a stray pass in midfield and as he sent Owain Jones clear of the Cardiff defence, the striker kept his composure to coolly slot past Joe Massaro and into the bottom corner.
Cardiff came close to levelling just moments later as Jamie Veale's shot was deflected a fraction wide of the far post.
The Swans finished the first half strongly and excellent link up play at the top end of the pitch created an opening for Dan James, but his left-foot shot was high and wide.

Half-time: Swans U18s 1 Cardiff U18s 0

Neither side made any changes at the interval, but it was the Swans who started strongly once more as Stephen Fallon found space on the edge of the box before curling a left-foot shot over the bar.
Cardiff made a change ten minutes into the second half as Abdi Noor replaced Jake Watkins, while Dan James shot straight at Joe Massaro when well placed.
However, the hosts were given a great chance to double their lead midway through the second half as Dan James was tripped by Massaro inside the box, with the referee having no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot.
Kyle Copp stepped up but he saw his effort superbly saved by Massaro, with the goalkeeper keeping out his follow-up from close range.
Copp then tested the goalkeeper with a low free kick that was kept out, before the Swans doubled their lead in emphatic fashion on 74 minutes.
As the ball sat up nicely for Dylan Thomas 25 yards from goal, the midfielder hit a rasping half volley that flew into the top right hand corner and gave Massaro no chance in the Cardiff goal.
The result means the Under-18s move above Cardiff and up to second place in Development League Two South.