FULL-TIME: Swans U21s 0-0 Watford (3-4*)

26th November 2013

Penalty heroics from Watford goalkeeper Daniel Wilks brought the curtain down on Swansea City Under-21s' Premier League Cup run.

For the second round in a row, a penalty shootout was needed to separate the two sides, with the visitors - on this occasion - coming out on top 4-3.

Throughout the 90 minutes and extra-time, the Swans were the dominant side and looked most likely to come out of the battle on top, but Kristian O'Leary's side were unable to apply the finishing touches to some fantastic attacking moves.

In-form striker Rory Donnelly had several chances to grab the Swans the elusive winner, only to be denied by the excellent Wilks on numerous occassions, while the Watford stopper also denied James Loveridge from the spot in the 65th minute.

SWANSEA CITY U21s: Oliver Davies, Liam Shephard, Dan Alfei, Scott Tancock (c), Jernade Meade (Joseph Jones, 119), Lee Lucas, Josh Sheehan, Henry Jones, Alex Bray (Kenji Gorre, 83), James Loveridge, Rory Donnelly.

SUBS: Gregor Zabret, Alex Gogic, Ryan Hedges.


WATFORD U21s: Daniel Wilks, Josh Doherty, Harry Kyprianou, Luke O'Nien (c), George Byers, Jazzi Barnum-Bobb, Ryan Hope, Kurtis Cumberpatch, Mahlondo Martin, Bernard Mensah (Bobson Bawling, 111), Uche Ikpeazu (Tom Rosenthal, 70).

SUBS: Arie Ammann, Chris Dillon, Matt Hall.

The Swans started the first-half the stronger of the two sides and had several good opportunities to open the scoring.

Inside two minutes, Alex Bray had a fantastic chance to get the Swans off to a flying start after great counter-attacking football by the home side.

Lee Lucas sped down the wing before playing the ball into the path of Bray, but the young winger was unable to get his shot on target, shooting just wide of the near post.

Then, with just under a quarter of an hour gone, Rory Donnelly had a glorious opportunity to give the Swans the lead, only for his shot to be denied from point blank range by Watford goalkeeper Daniel Wilks.

Bray squared the ball for Donnelly to finish off from 12 yards, but Wilks did brilliantly to block the in-form striker's effort.

On the brink of half-time, Uche Ikpeazu had Watford's first real opportunity to break the deadlock, after the big number '9' forced his way through on goal.

Ikpeazu managed to hold off the challenge of Jernade Meade but was unable to direct his shot goalwards.

HALF-TIME: Swansea City 0-0 Watford

The second-half began as the first-half had started, with the Swans first to knock on the opposition's door.

Wilks pulled off another fantastic stop to deny Donnelly from scoring his sixth goal in eight competitive games, diving to his right to tip the Northern Irish striker's effort around the post, after he had shrugged off the challenge of his marker.

In the 65th minute, the Swans looked like they were about to find the elusive breakthrough when they were awarded a penalty for a goalmouth foul on Donnelly, only for Wilks to perform yet more heroics. 

The Swansea number '10' was brought down inside the six-yard box, following Henry Jones' goalwards shot being cleared off the line, before James Loveridge's strike from the spot was palmed wide by the excellent Watford goalkeeper.

However, Wilks was very nearly caught out when Donnelly attempted a spectacular effort from 40 yards that flew over the goalkeeper's head but bounced just over the bar.

But for the second round in a row, this Premier League Cup tie would need extra-time to find a winner, with neither side able to find a winner in 90 minutes.

FULL-TIME: Swansea City 0-0 Watford

The Swans continued to dominate the play, without creating any clear cut chances.

Kenji Gorre tested Wilks from range before several crosses went hurtling across goal, with nobody there to get the crucial last touch.

As was the case in the second round against Millwall, penalties would be needed to settle this cup tie.

However, this time, the Swans didn't come out on top. Having missed their first penalty, Watford came back from behind to win 4-3 in the shootout.