Local clubs benefit from SwansAid grants
21st June 2016
Six local sports clubs and groups will benefit from a £17,000 SwansAid grant with an additional six youth football teams receiving sports kits for next season.
Now in its third year, the Swans Community Trust grant-giving scheme has distributed over £100,000 to a variety of charities and community organisations across South West Wales.
From trampolines to tyres and from cricket clubs to a PTA, a diverse range of groups that support young or disabled people taking part in sport have this month been awarded grants to help boost an array of great projects.
"The Trust is delighted to announce that another group of organisations have been awarded SwansAid funding," said Helen Elton, Swans Community Trust's Assistant Head of Community.
"The successful organisations support children, young people or disabled people to be more active. These grants will be put towards a variety of uses including purchasing new equipment, funding new projects and sessions or to finance training."
Plasmarl PTA was awarded the top category grant of £6,312.89 for the purchase of sport and play activity flooring and equipment for the playground.
The school's Head Teacher, Lucy Saunders believes the SwansAid funding will help more local children stay active.
"We believe that the project will make a huge different to the whole community," she said. "It will provide a safe and dedicated space for children to take part in general physical activities and to allow them to engage in free play."
Nichola Fencott from the school's PTA added. "The equipment we can purchase with the SwansAid finding will encourage children from both the school and surrounding area to take part in sport in an informal and safe environment. Providing additional sporting activities will enable the children to play together in a safe sociable setting and will encourage them into participating in activities that promote health and well-being."
Here's a full list of SwansAid Grant winners (Round 2, Season 2015-16)
Up to £10,000 category
- Plasmarl PTA(£6,312.89) for the purchase of sporting/play activity flooring and equipment for the playground.
Up to £2,000 category
- Bikeability Wales (£1,705) for their Tots on Tyres project to enable the purchase of six specialist children's cycles.
- Clydach Cricket Club (£1,763) for cricket training kit.
- Llangennach Cricket Club (£1,980.75) for cricket equipment.
- Mumbles Rangers Boys and Girls FC (£2,000) for coach training
- Neath Flyers Trampoline Club (£410) to buy a trampoline and safety equipment to allow more participants to join the Club.
Sports kit awards
- Afan Lido U13
- Coedffranc AFC U8
- Hudlestone Juniors AFC U8
- Milford United FC
- Sandfields Colts U13
- Ynystawe U7