Report | Cardiff Met Women 1 Swansea City Ladies 1

18th April 2022
Swansea City Ladies v Cardiff Met
Photo: FAW

Swansea City Ladies finished their third consecutive title-winning season with a hard-fought draw at Cardiff Met on Easter Sunday.

Some weeks ago, this match had looked like it was setting up to be a title decider, but the ruthless Swans wrapped up the league a fortnight ago which meant there was only pride to play for in the final match of the season.

Stacey John-Davis had given the champions the lead, but they were pegged back by a long-range effort from Emily Richards.

It was a stop-start first half with three substitutions before the break and few chances created by either side.

An injury to Swans key forward Chloe Chivers on the 15th minute meant she had to be withdrawn. Her replacement Nia Rees was quickly in the action. Kelly Adams played her part in the build up finding Rees, who forced a save from Charlotte Smith.

At the other end, Tija Richardson headed in from a free-kick but was flagged offside and the Archers were forced into changes in the 35th and 45th minute.

The Swans flew out of the traps in the second half and Jess Williams’ superb free kick from 35 yards clattered the post shortly after the break and, just two minutes later, John-Davies finished off a smart move by the visitors.

Laura Davies nicked the ball back on the half-way, drove forward and picked out John-Davies’ run from deep. The winger took a touch and fired low right-footed just inside the near post. The goalkeeper got a hand to it, but the power was too much.

The lead didn’t last long. A foul near the touchline around 35 yards from the Swans goal gave substitute Richards a chance to put the ball in the box.

She floated the ball high into the area, over the heads of everyone – included the outstretched arm of Claire Skinner – and it dipped just under the crossbar to draw the scores level.

Swans had a few late chances, the best of these falling to Katy Hosford who forced a save direct from a free kick, but the match eventually ended in a draw. 

It left the Swans well-deserving of their third league title in three years winning 51 points from a possible 60, having lost just once all season.