Report | Huddersfield Town 0 Swansea City 4

20th April
First team
Jamal Lowe celebration

Second-half goals from Jamal Lowe, Ronald, Jerry Yates and Liam Walsh gave Swansea City their first win away at Huddersfield Town since 2008.

The Swans had the best chances of the first half with Jay Fulton forcing a superb fingertip save from Lee Nicholls, and Liam Cullen going close with a headed effort.

Cullen also hit that outside of the post early in the second half before the Terriers spurned big chances for David Kasumu, Delano Burgzorg and Michal Helik, who hit the woodwork.

But the Swans got the breakthrough when Lowe scored a fine solo goal in the 73rd minute, before three goals in eight minutes sealed the points. 

Ronald got the second as Josh Tymon was released by Carl Rushworth to hit the home side on the break.

Jerry Yates sealed the win, tapping in from close range in injury time, before Liam Walsh added a fourth in style minutes later.

It gave the Swans a third win and third clean sheet in a row, and their biggest win of the season so a far. 

Head coach Luke Williams had named an unchanged team for the third time in a row for the penultimate away match of the season, but welcomed Nathan Wood back onto the bench after injury.

The Terriers, spurred on by a vociferous home support, pressed fiercely in the opening minutes, but the Swans showed composure playing through the home side and creating a few early chances.

Ronald had an effort blocked by Brodie Spencer, while Josh Key recovered well to force Josh Koroma to drag an effort wide of the post.

Fulton then forced a superb, fingertip save from Terriers keeper Nicholls when he drilled an effort towards the far post after being picked out by Ronald following a good run from the Brazilian.

The biggest chance of the half fell to Liam Cullen in the final minutes. Tymon picked the striker out at the edge of the six-yard box, but he was only able to head his effort wide of the post. 

Jamie Paterson Huddersfield

Cullen also had the first chance of the second period as a well-timed run was picked out by Ben Cabango. The forward took the ball onto his left foot and his curled effort glanced the outside of the post.

But the home side hit back with a series of good chances. 

The best of these fell to Delano Burgzorg shortly before the hour mark. 

The Terriers' man beat Rushworth to an underhit backpass, and got away from the keeper. 

But his effort was blocked into the shins of Key, with Rushworth recovering to claim the loose ball.

Instead, it was the Swans who broke the deadlock when substitute Lowe fired them ahead with just under 20 minutes to go. 

It was a good break from the Swans with Paterson releasing Lowe, and the Bournemouth loanee was allowed to drive into the box and fire inside the far post with the help of a small deflection for his ninth goal of the season.

The Terriers rallied again with Jaheim Headley and Helik going close, before Danny Ward’s strike smashed the base of the post and somehow bounced at.

But the Swans had the final say with three quickfire late goals. 

They doubled their lead when Rushworth released the ball early to Tymon with an outstanding measured kick downfield, and the full-back unselfishly squared the ball for Ronald to tap in.

Yates added a third in injury time to seal the win, finding the net from Azeem Abdulai's deflected cross as he also moved on to nine goals for the season. 

And Liam Walsh capped things off with a delightful effort that curled and dipped on its way into the top corner to put the gloss on a rare victory at the home of the Terriers.


Swansea City: Carl Rushworth, Josh Key, Jay Fulton (Liam Walsh 65), Ben Cabango, Harry Darling, Matt Grimes (captain), Jamie Paterson (Charlie Patino 74’), Josh Tymon, Liam Cullen (Jerry Yates 65’), Ollie Cooper (Jamal Lowe 65’), Ronald (Azeem Abdulai 87).

Unused Substitutes: Andy Fisher, Mykola Kuharevich, Nathan Wood, Bashir Humphreys.


Huddersfield Town: Lee Nicholls, Matty Pearson, Michal Helik (captain), Delano Burgzorg (Danny Ward 60), Jack Rudoni, Josh Koroma, Sorba Thomas, Brodie Spencer (Jaheim Headley 60), David Kasumu, Alex Matos (Rhys Healey 60), Tom Lees (Ben Jackson 88).

Unsued Substitutes: Chris Maxwell, Bojan Radulovic, Tom Edwards, Ollie Turton, Ben Wiles.


Referee: John Busby

Attendance: 18,935