Report | Swansea City Ladies 2 Cardiff Met Women 0

4th September 2022
Swans Ladies celebrate Katy Hosford goal v Cardiff Met
Image by Natalie John-Davis of NJ-D Photography

A record crowd of 1,426 turned out to watch Swansea City Ladies defeat rivals Cardiff Met Women at the Stadium on the opening day of the 2022-23 Genero Adran Premier League season.

The attendance was more than double the previous record for a women’s domestic fixture in Wales and the crowd were treated to two excellent goals by the Swans which saw them open their title defence in fine style.

Katy Hosford’s excellent strike from the edge of the box in the first half was followed up by a sensational solo effort by Stacey John-Davis as the the Ladies team took to the Stadium pitch for the first time.

It was comfortable in the end for Ceri Phillips’ side, who dominated after the break, but it was an end-to-end affair in the opening half.

The Swans created a couple of early chances, Monet Legall had an early effort blocked before Emma Beynon skewed a shot wide. The latter then played a wonderful pass around the corner giving John-Davis her first opportunity to stretch her legs.

She got the better of the Archers’ defence, but keeper Amelia Forkings came off her line quickly to smother the chance.

It was a warning for the visitors though, with John-Davis’ pace causing them problems for most of the evening.

At the other end, set-pieces looked most the most likely source of a goal for the visitors with Shannon Evans and Grace Corne both going close from corners.

Met thought they’d taken the lead in the 25th minute, when visiting skipper Steph Turner poked home, but she was denied by the assistant referee’s flag.

Swansea reacted quickly, countering with real pace.

John-Davis saw the keeper off her line and attempted a chip, but she was narrowly off target.

Stacey John-Davies
Image by Natalie John-Davis of NJ-D Photography

Emily Allen was played in for Met just after the half-hour mark, but a fantastic last ditch challenge by Lucy Finch denied her.

Hosford then gave the Swans the lead just before half-time, chipping keeper Forkings from 20 yards after turning away from a defender to make room for a shot.

The Swans were dominant after taking the lead, and Legall went close to doubling the lead shortly after half time.

But less than 10 minutes after the break, John-Davis picked the ball up out wide and made a sensational run down the right. Once again, she attempted an audacious chip from distance and the narrowest of angles, but this time it paid off and the ball hit the inside of the far post and cannoned over the line and into the net.

It was a goal worthy of gracing any game and was rapturously received by those in attendance.

The forward went close again soon after, but her effort was over the crossbar, while Finch forced a save with a header from close range.

At the other end, a long-distance effort by Amy Long – which was comfortable for Claire Skinner – was the closest Met came in the second half as the Swans shone under the lights on their big night.