Report | Swansea City U18s 3 Queens Park Rangers U18s 1

27th February
Adrian Akande

Swansea City Under-18s came from behind to beat Queens Park Rangers in Professional Development League South at Landore.

The young Swans trailed in the first half to Sinclair Armstrong's 29th-minute strike.

However, they were much-improved after the break and deservedly equalised through Adrian Akande.

Joel Cotterill then opened his account for the under-18s this season from the penalty spot to complete the turnaround.

Rio Campbell also got on the scoresheet, with his wonderful individual effort four minutes from time securing a first win of 2021 for the hosts.

In his final game in charge before becoming assistant coach of the under-23s alongside Kris O'Leary, Anthony Wright made six changes from the midweek defeat at Sheffield United.

Josh Hutchings replaced Tyler Evans in goal, while Jacob Edwards, Kai Ludvigsen and Cian Williams were recalled in defence.

Cameron Congreve and Akande also returned to the side, and Geoff Bony was given another opportunity at the spearhead of the attack.

Bony was one of three under-16 players in from the start for the hosts, along with Cotterill and Ben Lloyd.

Prior to kick-off, both sides conducted a minute's applause in tribute to Swansea fan Mitchell Powell, who sadly passed away recently, while a shirt was placed near the dugout in his honour.

Bottom side QPR were aiming to end a run of six successive defeats and looked dangerous on the counter at Landore.

Hutchings made a great save to deny Armstrong, while Raheem Conte fired just wide from the edge of the box.

At the other end, 15-year-old Lloyd rattled the crossbar from distance following a driving run into the heart of the visitors' defence.

But it was QPR who broke through just before the half-hour mark. A clever through ball by Harrison Murphy released Armstrong, who drilled through the legs of Hutchings at his near post.

The Swans, who were 2-1 winners in the FA Youth Cup meeting between the sides in December, looked to respond with Campbell drilling a low shot just wide, before shooting straight at Max Little soon after.

Williams then came to the hosts' rescue with a vital intervention to prevent Luke Deslandes from racing in behind on the counter.

With incoming coach Byron Anthony watching on, the hosts were much-improved after the break and, on the hour mark, Lloyd embarked on another jinking run into the box before shooting just wide.

But, within 60 seconds, they were level as Congreve drove forward and fed Akande, who stayed onside before firing into the roof of the net from a tight angle.

And the turnaround was completed just six minutes later when Cotterill drove home from the penalty spot after the midfielder was brought down in the box.

The young Swans looked to extend their lead in the latter stages of the context.

Lloyd had just carried the ball out of play before putting the ball in the net, while Akande was denied by the offside flag and Bony shot wide from close range.

However, the third goal did arrive with four minutes remaining as Campbell cut inside from the right flank before firing a low shot in off the post.

Swans U18s: Josh Hutchings; Jacob Edwards (Panashe Makokowe, 59), Scott Butler (captain), Kai Ludvigsen, Cian Williams; Joel Cotterill, Cameron Congreve (Adnaan Moti, 73), Ben Lloyd; Adrian Akande (Ryan Bassett, 80), Geoff Bony, Rio Campbell.

Subs not used: Tyler Evans.

QPR U18s: Max Little, Mason McClean (captain; Matheo Salamon, 43), Elijah Anthony, Harun Hamid, Deon Woodman, Henry Hawkins, Harrison Murphy, Raheem Conte (Matthew Castillo, ht), Sinclair Armstrong, Luke Pange, Luke Deslandes.

Subs not used: Mason Obeng.