Report | Swansea City U21s 3 AFC Bournemouth U21s 2

12th February
Maliq Cadogan

Maliq Cadogan's stoppage-time winner completed Swansea City Under-21s’ comeback to beat Professional Development League South leaders AFC Bournemouth in a thriller at Landore Training Ground.

On a dramatic night, the hosts had opened the scoring with Cadogan netting his third goal of the season, the forward calmly sending a low-shot into the bottom corner.

But the Cherries would hit back either side of the break to lead thanks to a curling strike from Balraj Landa and a close-range finish from Max Kinsey.

Substitute Glory Nzingo levelled matters inside the final six minutes to set up a tense finale.

Then, with one minute remaining in stoppage time, Cadogan got his second of the night to snatch the three points and send the Swans up to second in the PDL South.

The hosts had Archie Matthews starting between the sticks, whilst Remy Mitchell returned to the bench.

Both sides had shown real energy and intent from the off, with plenty of purpose in their opening attacks.

The visitors had the first real chance of the evening as Charlie Osborne steered a curling effort straight into the hands of goalkeeper Matthews. 

The Swans responded, with Liam Smith causing problems down the right but unable to pick out another white shirt with his deliveries into the area. 

The Swans then suffered a blow in the 18th minute when Dan Watts was forced off due to injury. The introduction of Thomas Searle in his place marked the youngster’s first appearance for development side.

But it did not disrupt Swansea too much, and Josh Carey showed some clever skill in the middle to pinch possession and send a low shot just wide of the post.

Down the other end, Jonny Stuttle forced a great point-blank save from Matthews after smashing the ball straight at the keeper from just six yards.

Liam Smith Cardiff Met

The hosts made the most of the keeper’s work to take the lead just before the half-hour mark; Cadogan raced through one-on-one before calmly slotting home into the bottom corner.

The Swans were firmly on top and Cadogan went agonisingly close to a second as he steered an effort just wide.

However, the visitors would draw level with the last kick of the first half. Landa curling the ball into the top corner from the edge of the penalty area.

Bournemouth started the second period on the front foot, and made it count by taking the lead. Skipper Kinsey smashed the ball into the net after Stuttle’s purposeful run had drawn Matthews off his line.

Back came the Swans as Richard Faakye sent a powerful header wide after a great corner delivery from Joel Cotterill.

Cameron Congreve and Smith both forced the Cherries into scrambled clearances following efforts from long range as the hosts continued to press for an equaliser.

And their hard work paid off when substitute Nzingo drew the scoreline level within minutes of his introduction.

Moments later, it had looked like the hosts had a third when Faakye found the net, but the assistant had raised the offside flag.

However, they would snatch all three points in stoppage time as Cadogan drove on to flash an unstoppable drive into the bottom of the net to complete the comeback and secure victory.

Swansea City Under-21s: Archie Matthews, Dan Watts (Thomas Searle 18), Josh Carey, Joel Cotterill (captain), Kian Jenkins, Richard Faakye, Mitchell Bates (Glory Nzingo 75), Charlie Veevers (Ben Lloyd 45), Maliq Cadogan, Cameron Congreve, Liam Smith. 

Unused Substitutes: Remy Mitchell, Jack Fanning.