Report | Swansea City Women 1 Cardiff City Women 3

3rd March
Ellie Lake v Cardiff City
Image courtesy of NJ-D Photography

Swansea City Women were knocked out of the Bute Energy Welsh Cup as they suffered semi-final defeat to Cardiff City Women at Penybont.

The Bluebirds took the lead nine minutes in as Mikayla Cook slotted home from close range.

Stacey John-Davis responded with an equaliser just five minutes later, a tidy finish from close range drawing the Swans level.

The second half proved a tight and tense affair, but Cardiff regained the lead with five minutes to go after Molly Kehoe capitalised on a mistake to find the net, before Megan Bowen headed home their third in the final moments.

With the two sides entering the game battling for silverware on three fronts, the opening exchanges were tight as they sought a foothold in the game.

But it would be Cardiff who would settle quickest and take the lead. Siobhan Walsh's header sent Cook through on goal, and she made no mistake to open the scoring.

However, Swansea would respond when a neat through ball from Robyn Pinder allowed John-Davis to prod home the equaliser.

Chances started to flow at both ends. Cook was denied a clear sight of goal by an outstanding last-ditch challenge from Lucy Finch, while Pinder was unable to test the Cardiff keeper after working space for herself on the edge of the area.

Chloe Chivers was the next to try her luck, attempted to loft the ball over the keeper from Pinder's pass, but saw her effort saved.

The scores remained level at the interval, and the second half became an increasingly cagey affair as it drew on.

Seren Watkins had a chance for the Bluebirds four minutes after the break, finding time on the edge of the box only to drag her effort wide.

At the other end, Katy Hosford’s tricky run down the left made space in the area for Pinder, but the forward's effort was straight at the keeper.

Catherine Walsh thought she had put the Bluebirds back in front when she headed in from a corner, but a clearance on the line from Ellie Lake denied her.

The Swans then had a golden opportunity to take the lead as Lake won the ball back in the Cardiff box, but John-Davis’ shot was fired over the bar.

The Swans were made to pay for those missed opportunities when a mix up at the back between Jess Williams and Chelsea Herbert gave Kehoe an open goal to put Cardiff back in front with five minutes to go.

The Bluebirds soon extended their lead and sealed their place in the final when Bowen headed home with just a minute of the 90 to play.

Swansea City Women: Chelsea Herbert, Lucy Finch, Ellie Lake, Rachel Cullen, Robyn Pinder, Chloe Chivers (Steph Turner 86), Katy Hosford (captain), Stacey John-Davis, Sammy Wynne (Kelsey Thomas 76), Sophie Brisland-Hancocks, Jess Williams.

Unused subs: Monet Legall, Emily Thomas, Imogen Harris.

Cardiff City Women: Ceryn Chamberlain, Lisa Owen, Ffion Price, Hannah Power, Siobhan Walsh (captain), Rhianne Oakley, Seren Watkins, Kelly Adams (Emma Beynon 60), Hollie Smith (Megan Bowen 67), Mikayla Cook (Molly Kehoe 60), Eliza Collie (Kerry Walklett 83).

Unused subs: Anna Phelps.