Report | Wrexham Women 2 Swansea City Women 3

24th March
Monet Legall v Wrexham

Ellie Lake’s late goal sealed a crucial three points for Swansea City Women as they claimed a dramatic victory in front of over 2,000 fans at the Racecourse. 

Wrexham had taken the lead through Lili Jones as she fired a long-range effort into the back of the net.

But the Swans would level before the break, Robyn Pinder stepping up to the spot and firing home an equaliser after being brought down in box.

Monet Legall then put the Swans ahead after the break, firing home a stunning strike from the edge of the box.

But, with 10 minutes remaining, Rosie Hughes would equalise for the home side as she headed home from close range.

But, despite the setback, the Swans rallied and Lake snatched all three points for the visitors deep into injury time as she sent the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

It was a vital goal, and ensures the Swans remain able to overhaul leaders Cardiff ahead of a double-header in the coming week.

After a sluggish opening 10 minutes, the first chance of the game went Wrexham’s way. Hughes found time on the edge of the box but fired well wide of the post.

Just two minutes later Swansea’s Steph Turner was forced off the field by injury, and was replaced by Kelsey Thomas.

As Swansea were adjusting, Wrexham came close once more to an opener. A free-kick into the box led to a scramble, but Jess Williams eventually cleared off the line.

But the hosts would eventually find a breakthrough, Jones fired off a strike from deep and Chelsea Herbert in the Swansea goal was unable to adjust to keep the ball out.

However, it wouldn’t take long for the Swans to respond as Pinder was brought down in the box by Keren Allen just six minutes later. 

The forward stepped up to the spot and buried the ball into the bottom-right corner for her eighth goal of the season.

From there, the Swans grew into the game, and Emily Thomas broke down the left before crossing to Pinder at the back post, but the forward couldn’t turn her effort on target.

Williams then looked to test the goalkeeper with a free-kick from distance, the defender struck the ball powerfully but the strike flew just over the bar as the score remained level at the interval.

Wrexham came out of the gates quickly in the second half, Brooke Cairns broke through on goal within seconds of the restart, but Herbert did well to prevent the hosts from retaking the lead.

Instead it would be the Swans who would take the lead. Legall latched onto a loose ball from a corner and smashed an unstoppable strike off the underside of the crossbar and into the net to put the visitors in front.

Thomas quickly had the chance to extend Swansea’s lead; a great ball from Pinder sent the forward through on goal, but the onrushing Wrexham goalkeeper denied her effort.

That looked like it might prove costly when, with 10 minutes remaining, Hughes headed home a cross from the right to level the scores.

But the visitors showed great character to dig deep and Lake would restore their lead in stoppage time as her cross deceived Del Morgan in the Wrexham goal and found its way into the bottom corner.

Wrexham Women: Del Morgan, Phoebe Davies, Olivia Fuller, Brooke Carins (TJ Dickens 87), Rebecca Pritchard (Annie Small 69), Rosie Hughes, Amber Lightfoot (Ava Suckley 81), Carra Jones, Lili Jones, Keren Allen, Mari Gibbard.

Unused subs: Charlotte Bolland, Erin Lovett.

Swansea City Women: Chelsea Herbert, Steph Turner (Kelsey Thomas 13, ), Ellie Lake, Rachel Cullen, Robyn Pinder, Chloe Chivers, Katy Hosford (captain), Sammy Wynne (Chloe Chivers 72), Sophie Brisland-Hancocks, Monet Legall (Imogen Harris 82), Emily Thomas, Jess Williams.

Unused subs: Rhian Williams, Jasmine Guymer.

Attendance: 2,008