Sunderland v Swansea City Barclays Premier League

11th May 2014

The Swans ended their Barclays Premier League season on a winning note as they beat Sunderland 3-1 at the Stadium of Light.
The curtain came down on another campaign as goals from Nathan Dyer, Marvin Emnes and Wilfried Bony ensured the Swans signed off in the best possible fashion.
Dyer slotted over keeper Vito Mannone following Wayne Routledge's threaded pass in the sixth minute, and they doubled their lead seven minutes later as Marvin Emnes fired home after losing marker John O'Shea.
After the break, Sunderland pulled one back through former Swans loanee Fabio Borini, but the visitors scored again soon after as Wilfried Bony struck his 25th goal of the campaign.
Victory meant the Swans finished the season on 42 points and in 12th place, while they could also reflect on a successful Europa League campaign which saw them reach the last 32 of the competition.

The Swans made six changes to their starting XI.
Jay Fulton was handed his first start as the 20-year-old, who made his debut off the bench a fortnight ago against Aston Villa, formed a midfield that also comprised of Jonjo Shelvey and loanee Marvin Emnes.
In goal, Gerhard Tremmel started as Michel Vorm was rested while there were three changes to the defence which started against Southampton last time out.
Dwight Tiendalli remained though Jordi Amat, Kyle Bartley - who made his first league start this season - and captain for the day Neil Taylor made up the defence.
The other change saw Nathan Dyer come in on the right wing in place of Jonathan de Guzman, who was on the substitutes bench which included 18-year-old Adam King, who was involved in the matchday squad for the first time.
Chico Flores (toe) and Pablo Hernandez (thigh) missed out with injuries.
Sunderland, safe after their midweek win over West Brom, made just two changes as Phil Bardsley and Liam Bridcutt came in for Marcos Alonso and Lee Cattermole.

SUNDERLAND:Vito Mannone, Santiago Vergini, Phil Bardsley (Ondrej Celustka, 63), Wes Brown, John O'Shea (capt, Jozy Altidore, 83), Liam Bridcutt, Sebastian Larsson (El Hadji Ba, 70), Jack Colback, Adam Johnson, Fabio Borini, Connor Wickham.
SUBS: Oscar Ustari, Emanuele Giaccherini, Charis Mavrias, Liam Agnew.

SWANS: Gerhard Tremmel, Dwight Tiendalli (Ben Davies, 75), Jordi Amat, Kyle Bartley, Neil Taylor (capt), Jay Fulton (Leon Britton, 73), Jonjo Shelvey, Marvin Emnes (Jonathan de Guzman, 55), Nathan Dyer, Wayne Routledge, Wilfried Bony.
SUBS: David Cornell, Ashley Williams, Adam King, Alvaro Vazquez.

The Swans got off to a dream start as they took the lead with just six minutes on the clock.
A fine run inside from the left flank by Wayne Routledge saw the winger slide a pass into the box for Nathan Dyer to run onto, and when he outpaced Phil Bardsley he calmly slotted left-footed over the onrushing Vito Mannone and into the top corner.
And it got better seven minutes later as the Swans doubled their lead with a stunning goal. 
Wilfried Bony's pass found Marvin Emnes on the edge of the box, and when he spun marker John O'Shea, the Dutchman fired a powerful left-footed effort past Mannone.
The Swans were enjoying their fine start, and were making the most of their territorial and possession advantage.
Sunderland had to find a way back into this game, though Jordi Amat and Kyle Bartley made timely interventions to deny them.
The closest they did come in the opening half-hour was via Bardsley's cross into the box which skimmed off the head of Amat and back out off the post, with Neil Taylor clearing the danger.
Connor Wickham then headed high and wide from a corner before Bardsley flash his effort across goal and off target.
Bardsley then cleared just yards from his own line as Routledge's trickery fooled the home defence as the game moved towards the break.
And Bardsley was at the centre of the last real attack of the half as he won a loose ball from Routledge and then fired a thunderous effort which Gerhard Tremmel tipped over the crossbar.

HALF-TIME: Sunderland 0 Swans 2

While the Swans had made a great start to the first half, the hosts were the ones to get off to a flier as Sunderland cut the deficit in the 50th minute.
Adam Johnson's corner found loanee Fabio Borini, and the former Swans striker fended off Neil Taylor to head into the bottom corner despite Tremmel's efforts.
Sunderland raised their game, and it took a Tremmel save soon after to deny Johnson.
But the home cheers died down soon after as the Swans restored their two-goal lead.
With 53 minutes on the clock, Emnes' cross dropped to Wilfried Bony, and the striker's initial dummy won him enough time to fire low into the net via the far post.
It proved Emnes' final involvement as he was replaced by Jonathan de Guzman seconds later.
Sunderland were back in the hunt for another goal as they look to again cut the lead, and Johnson drove over after his mazy run.
Then Sebastian Larsson's powerful free-kick was kept out by Tremmel before the Swans cleared the danger.
Garry Monk made his final changes soon after as Leon Britton and Ben Davies came on in place of Fulton and Dwight Tiendalli.
The Swans, despite their lead, went in search of a fourth goal and Bony saw his deflected shot drop into Mannone's hands.
Sunderland then brought on Jozy Altidore for O'Shea, and the striker was soon in the thick of the action as his thunderous effort flew wide of the top corner.
Alitodore was then denied in added on time as Kyle Bartley's last-ditch tackle stopped him in his tracks with Taylor clearing the loose.
That was the end of the action - and the season - as the Swans went over to thank the Jack Army for their fantastic support through the European and domestic campaigns.