Swansea City Brighton Premier League 2

6th February 2017

Swansea City Under-23s suffered their second Premier League 2 (Division 2) defeat in a row as they were narrowly defeated 1-0 against Brighton on Monday night.
Despite early chances it was the Seagulls who took the lead against the run of play as striker Harry Cardwell struck inside 20 minutes at Crawley's Checkatrade.com Stadium.
The Swans battled in the wet conditions to find a way back into the game, but they failed to take advantage of a number of chances in the final third.
The result means the U23s' lead at the top of the Division 2 table has been cut to seven points following Fulham's win over Middlesbrough earlier in the day.

Gary Richards and Cameron Toshack made three changes to the side that narrowly lost against Fulham at Motspur Park last week.
The attacking duo of Oli McBurnie and Kenji Gorre returned to the starting line-up as the pair started their first Premier League 2 game together this season.
They were joined by Scottish midfielder Jay Fulton, who has made ten Premier League appearances for the Swans so far this season.
Brighton included defender Sam Adekugbe in their starting XI. The 22-year-old is on loan from MLS side Vancouver Whitecaps.

BRIGHTON U23s: Robert Sanchez, Will Collar (Tyler Hornby-Forbes, 76), Ben White, Tom Dallison, Sam Adekugbe (George Cox, 15) James Tilley (Ben Barclay, 67), Dessie Hutchinson, Richie Towell, Jordan Davies; Henrik Rorvik Bjordal; Harry Cardwell.
UNUSED SUBS: Billy Collings, Dylan Barnett.

SWANS U23s: Gregor Zabret, Tyler Reid, Connor Roberts, Ryan Blair, Keston Davies (Capt), Joe Rodon, Jordan Garrick (Daniel James, 60), Jay Fulton, Oli McBurnie, George Byers, Kenji Gorrè (Adam King, 73).
UNUSED SUBS: Lewis Thomas, Adnan Marić, Aaron Lewis.

Swansea could have taken the lead after just two minutes in the wet conditions at Crawley's Checkatrade.com Stadium as Ryan Blair's deflected shot from 30 yards looped narrowly over the bar.
The under-23s sustained some early pressure from the home side but maintained their their threat in the final third as Jordan Garrick's snap-shot from the edge of the area was saved by Robert Lynch-Sanchez.
Despite the chances it was Brighton who took the lead against the run of play after 17 minutes as Jordan Davies' counter-attack saw the winger cross into the path of striker Harry Cardwell, who slotted into an empty net.
The young Swans looked to hit back minutes later as Jay Fulton won the ball in midfield before firing a fierce shot narrowly wide of goal.
Soon after Garrick's break down the right allowed the winger's cross to find Oli McBurnie in the box, but the striker could not keep his shot down as the ball sailed inches over the bar.
Swansea had to defend sternly to prevent Brighton from extending their lead as winger James Tilley cut inside before firing a ferocious effort wide, while, at the other end, McBurnie and winger Kenji Gorre also missed opportunities to level before the break.

HALF TIME: Brighton U23s 1 - 0 Swans U23s

Swansea had to be patient in the opening stages of the second half as Brighton controlled large spells of the first ten minutes.
The visitors did launch an attack in the 55th minute as fast feet from Connor Roberts saw the defender carve his way into the box before pulling back for McBurnie, but the home side scrambled the ball to safety.
Minutes later McBurnie almost capitalised on a poor clearance from Brighton's keeper only for Lynch-Sanchez to recover to save the striker's effort with his legs.
Swansea maintained the pressure and went close again 60 seconds later as George Byers cut into the box from the left only for his low drive to be gathered by the keeper.
McBurnie headed over while Brighton kept plugging away themselves as midfielder Richie Towell blazed over from just outside the area midway through the half.
The Swans continued to attack right until the death as Roberts' drilled effort was denied by the keeper once more before McBurnie connected with a corner only to see his effort come back off the foot of the post before the final whistle.

Photos by: BHAFC/Paul Hazlewood