Swansea City Under-23s Newcastle United

26th September

Swansea City Under-23s fell to a 3-2 defeat against Newcastle United at Whitley Park in Premier League 2 (Division 2) on Monday.
The home side took the lead minutes before half-time through Sean Longstaff's close-range strike.
Newcastle doubled their lead from the penalty spot with Dan Barlaser scoring five minutes after the restart.
Callum Roberts neat chip further extended the home side's lead before George Byers rebound got the Swans on the scoresheet.
Botti Biabi's diving header in the closing minutes set up an exciting finish but the Magpies held on to confirm the Under-23s' second defeat of the season. 
The young Swans meet Newcastle again at Whitley Park this Friday in the Premier League Cup.

Swansea City Under-23s made one change to the side that beat Blackburn Rovers at Landore last Monday.
Gregor Zabret replaced Mark Birighitti in goal to make his first Premier League 2 start of the season while striker Oli McBurnie kept his place up front with Daniel James and Alex Bray on the wing. 

NEWCASTLE U23s: Freddie Woodman, Callum Williams, Liam Gibson, Dan Barlaser, Curtis Good, Lubomir Satka, Stefan Briccoli (Yasin Ben Emhanni, 70), Sean Longstaff, Luke Charman (Jack Hunter, 84), Callum Roberts, Jamie Holmes.
SUBS NOT USED: Michael Newberry, Nathan Harker, Stuart Findlay.

SWANS U23s: Gregor Zabret, Tyler Reid, Aaron Lewis, Tom Holland (Jack Evans, 80), Keston Davies (capt), Joe Rodon, Daniel James, Adnan Maric, Oli McBurnie (Botti Biabi, ht), George Byers, Alex Bray (Owain Jones, 66).
SUBS NOT USED: Tom Plezier, Ross Treacy.

Early pressure from the home side saw Callum Roberts' shot deflected over the bar after five minutes.
Swansea's first sight at goal came after a 15 minutes when George Byers' neat one-two with Alex Bray saw the midfielder find space only for his shot to go wide of goal.
Half chances fell to Oli McBurnie later in the half before Magpies goalkeeper Freddie Woodman was forced from his line to clear the ball from Bray's run into the box.
Newcastle winger Jamie Holmes saw his shot clear the bar before Byers fired wide.
Both sides looked to be playing out a goalless first half until Roberts played in midfielder Sean Longstaff inside the area, and he fired home at the near post to give Newcastle the lead minutes before the break.

HALF TIME: Newcastle Utd U23s 1 - 0 Swans U23s

The young Swans looked to get back on level terms in the opening minutes of the second half with Bray having a penalty appeal turned down.
However, Newcastle were awarded a spot-kick seconds later as goalkeeper Gregor Zabret was judged to have brought down a Newcastle attacker.
Zabret saved the first effort but could not keep out Dan Barlaser's rebound to give the Magpies a 2-0 lead.
The home side were further ahead five minutes later as Roberts caught out Joe Rodon in defence before sprinting clear and chipping Zabret.
But Swansea pulled a goal back two minutes later as Daniel James' powerful shot was parried by Woodman before Byers tapped home the rebound.
Newcastle continued to push as Zabret was called on to save Holmes' effort inside the area after 75 minutes.
But the young Swans did not give up and, in the closing stages, substitute Botti Biabi reduced the deficit once more as his diving header found the net.
Further chances fell to Adnan Maric and Keston Davies before the full-time whistle confirmed the young Swans' second PL2 defeat of the season.