Swansea City v Southampton at the Liberty Stadium

3rd May 2014

A bizarre goal in added-on time saw the Swans end their home campaign in the Barclays Premier with a 1-0 defeat to Southampton.
This was no thriller, but the the difference between the sides came in the 93rd minute as Ashley Williams' clearance from a cross into the box flew into the air and bounced in off the arm of substitute Rickie Lambert.
The game itself had looked destined for a draw as neither side really pushed their claim to win the match.
The better chances came in the first half as Wilfried Bony fired a half-volley over and Pablo Hernandez was denied by Artur Boruc.
The Saints had the better of possession but they couldn't make the most of that before the break as Morgan Schneiderlin wasted a decent opportunity from Luke Shaw's pinpoint cross.
The second half failed to create much in the terms of excitement, but the crucial moment came in the third minute of added on time thanks to the visitors' bizarre goal.
Defeat left the Swans on 39 points with one game remaining - a trip to Sunderland.
Following the final whistle, the Swans squad circled around the pitch in a lap of appreciation as they thanked the Jack Army for their fantastic support not only in the Barclays Premier League but also around the continent during their Europa League campaign.

The Swans made just one change to the starting XI.
With Angel Rangel absent via a groin injury sustained in the 4-1 win over Aston Villa last time out, Dutch international Dwight Tiendalli made his 18th appearance of the campaign.
Spaniard Chico Flores, who had missed the last two games through suspension, was again ruled out as he had a minor toe problem.

SWANS: Michel Vorm, Dwight Tiendalli (Neil Taylor, 77), Jordi Amat, Ashley Williams (capt), Ben Davies, Leon Britton, Jonjo Shelvey, Pablo Hernandez (Marvin Emnes, 77), Jonathan de Guzman (Nathan Dyer, 66), Wayne Routledge, Wilfried Bony.
SUBS: Gerhard Tremmel, Kyle Bartley, Jay Fulton, Alvaro Vazquez.

SOUTHAMPTON: Artur Boruc, Nathaniel Clyne, Morgan Schneiderlin, Dejan Lovren, Jose Fonte, Steven Davis, Victor Wanyama, Jack Cork (Harrison Reed, 85), Adam Lallana (capt, Rickie Lambert, 62), Luke Shaw, Sam Gallagher (James Ward-Prowse, 78).
SUBS: Paulo Gazzaniga, Guly do Prado, Calum Chambers, Jos Hooiveld.

The sun was shining down on the Liberty, the Swans made a bright start.
And they went close to opening the scoring in the fifth minute as Jonjo Shelvey pressurised Steven Davis inside the Saints box and the England international toed the ball to Wilfried Bony. The big striker's back-heel teed up Pablo Hernandez, but the Spanish international's was kept out by Artur Boruc. The loose ball dropped to Jonathan de Guzman, but he failed to keep his 12-yard effort down as it sailed into the away end.
Shelvey pressed again soon after, and his teasing cross was met by Bony, but his header flashed wide of the far post.
Southampton responded via Morgan Schneiderlin, who headed Luke Shaw's header over despite being unmarked some 15 yards out.
The Saints probed once more as another Shaw cross from the left curled along the face of goal, but the onrushing Schneiderlin couldn't meet it.
The visitors were dominating possession, and they wasted another glorious opportunity as Nathaniel Clyne raced down his right flank before crossing to Sam Gallagher. But the young forward glanced his header onto the top of the net.
Straight up the other end, Bony went close to breaking the deadlock as his thunderous half-volley from Hernandez's header flew just past the crossbar.
The Saints continued to plug away, though, and Ashley Williams had to head Jack Cork's attempt wide for a corner in the last real action of the half.

HALF-TIME: Swans 0 Southampton 0

The tempo of the game lowered after the break, with Ashley Williams flicking a Davies corner over before the Swans skipper came to the rescue at the other end with a timely block to deny Lallana as he was about to shoot.
Both sides made a change after the hour mark as Rickie Lambert replaced Lallana for the visitors while Nathan Dyer came on in place of de Guzman.
Schneiderlin then drove low towards the bottom corner, but Michel Vorm gathered comfortably.
Garry Monk made a double change as Neil Taylor and Marvin Emnes came on for Dwight Tiendalli and Hernandez in the 77th minute.
But, with the game heading for a draw, the Saints took all three points late on.
In the 93rd minute, Ashley Williams' clearance from a cross into the box flew into the air and bounced in off the arm of substitute Rickie Lambert.
It proved the last act of the game with referee Anthony Taylor blowing the final whistle moments later.