Sunday 10th March 2024
Ashton Gate Stadium

BRC Bristol City


SWA Swansea

- Days
- Hrs
- Mins
- Secs

10th March

Swansea City suffered defeat at Ashton Gate after a second-half Rob Dickie goal proved the difference.

The Swans had the better of the first half, dominating in terms of possession and chances created, but weren’t able to make the most of their opportunities.

The second half was more even with Przemysław Płacheta and Mark Sykes having good chances for either side, before Bristol City defender Dickie got the final touch following a corner routine to condemn the Swans to defeat.

Head coach Luke Williams had made three changes to the side that drew with Watford in midweek. Joe Allen, Kyle Naughton and Liam Cullen returned to the starting line-up with Jerry Yates, Harry Darling and Jay Fulton dropping to the bench.

The Swans dominated possession and had the best of an opening half which lacked any moments of real quality from either side.

Płacheta pounced on a miscued clearance, but a deflection meant his ball into the box dropped awkwardly for Ronald, who was only able to volley over the crossbar.

Jamie Paterson – who was making his 100th Swans appearance – had an effort blocked from inside the box against his former club, and Ronald blasted wide of the near post after being put through by Naughton.

Ben Cabango and Cullen both headed wide from Matt Grimes’ deliveries, which came from a free-kick and a recycled corner respectively.

At the other end, the home side’s best chance of the half came from a corner in the 11th minute. The delivery was knocked down into the six-yard box, but the Swans did just enough to scramble the ball out of the danger area.

Cullen’s dipping effort from 20 yards was the closest either team came to testing the opposing keeper before the break.

Joe Allen Bristol City

The second half proved a more even affair. The first big chance fell to the Swans on the hour. Ronald’s cross was helped on by Paterson before landing for Płacheta, who was unmarked at the back post. The Polish international brought it down, but could only fire into the side-netting.

Sykes then had a few good chances after being introduced as a sub. He was firstly crowded out when the ball dropped to him in the box, while a combination of Nathan Wood and Carl Rushworth did really well to deny him when he raced through on goal a few moments later.

Sykes’ best opportunity yet came in the 70th minute when he teamed up with Ross McCrorie to get the better of Josh Tymon, only to blast into the side-netting from close range.

But Bristol City did take the lead through Dickie with 15 minutes remaining. A corner was worked short to Joe Williams whose delivery was glanced in by the Robins defender.

The hosts came forward again and Jason Knight was close to doubling the lead with a diving header.

And while substitutes Jamal Lowe and Ollie Cooper did combine for a chance late on -  the delivery was slightly ahead of Cooper and he was only able to toe over the bar - the Swans were unable to take anything from the game. 


Swansea City: Carl Rushworth, Ben Cabango, Joe Allen (Jay Fulton 82’), Matt Grimes (captain), Jamie Paterson (Ollie Cooper 78’), Josh Tymon, Przemysław Płacheta, Liam Cullen (Jamal Lowe 68’), Nathan Wood, Kyle Naughton (Josh Key 78’), Ronald (Jerry Yates 82’).

Unused substitutes: Andy Fisher, Harry Darling, Charlie Patino, Azeem Abdulai.


Bristol City: Max O’Leary, Ross McCrorie, Cameron Pring (Haydon Roberts 60’), Joe Williams, Harry Cornick (Mark Sykes 56’), Anis Mehmeti, Jason Knight (captain), Tommy Conway (Nakhi Wells 82’) Rob Dickie, Taylor Gardner-Hickman (Andy King 82’), Zak Vyner.

Unused substitutes: Stefan Bajic, Scott Twine, Jamie Knight-Lebel, Dire Mebude.



Referee: Matthew Donohue

Attendance: 20,995