Wednesday 6th March 2024
Vicarage Road

WAT Watford


SWA Swansea

- Days
- Hrs
- Mins
- Secs

6th March
Watford celebration

Swansea City extended their unbeaten run in the Championship to three as they played out a draw with Watford at Vicarage Road.

A Ryan Andrews own goal gave the Swans the lead their first-half performance deserved, and they could have had a greater advantage with Ronald and Ben Cabango drawing good stops from Daniel Bachman.

But the home side upped their intensity in the second period and Wesley Hoedt header appeared to be turned in by Ryan Porteous for the equaliser shortly before the hour mark.

Cabango and Nathan Wood were called into action to make essential blocks to ensure the visitors would take home a point. 

Luke Williams had made three changes to the side which beat Blackburn Rovers last time out with Jay Fulton, Harry Darling and Jerry Yates replacing Joe Allen, Kyle Naughton and Liam Cullen in the starting line-up.

The Swans dominated possession in the opening 45 minutes, with wingers Ronald and Przemysław Płacheta taking up some threatening positions without creating any clear-cut chances.

Darling headed goalward from a corner, before Watford created two half-chances on the break with Jamal Lewis and Yaser Asprilla seeing efforts blocked inside the box.

The opener went Swansea's way and came in bizarre fashion. Andrews appeared to have the situation under control as he looked to head back to his goalkeeper under no pressure, but Bachman had come off his line to gather the ball himself, and the right-back nodded beyond him and into the empty net.

The Hornets’ keeper made up for his error though pulling off two strong saves in the remainder of the half.

He saved Ronald’s effort with his outstretched leg after the Brazilian pinched the ball back from Lewis at the edge of the box to put himself through on goal, before denying Cabango from point-blank range when the Wales international’s diving header turned Jamie Paterson’s delivery on target.

Przemyslaw Placheta

But Watford responded in the second half. The home side won a series of corners in quick succession towards the start of the second period, and it was through a corner that they secured their equaliser.

Hoedt’s flicked header across goal was bundled in as Porteous arrived at the far post.

The goal gave the home side a lift. Vakoun Bayo had a good opportunity to get a second for the Hornets from another set-piece, but he steered a header wide.

And Cabango and Wood were both needed to block shots from Lewis and Asprilla.

Płacheta’s directness earned the Swans a big chance when he breezed past two Watford players and into the box. There were players in pink waiting in the centre of the goal, but he opted to loft his cross from the narrow angle and couldn’t find the target.

Cabango had the final chance of the match, but could only turn his diving header from Matt Grimes' free-kick wide of the post as the spoils were shared.


Watford: Daniel Bachmann, Wesley Hoedt (captain), Ryan Porteous, Jamal Lewis, Jake Livermore (Ismael Kone 46’), Ken Sema (Gorgi Chakvetadze 43’), Yaser Asprilla, Vakoun Bayo (Mileta Rajovic 73’), Tom Dele-Bashiru, Emmanuel Dennis, Ryan Andrews.

Unused substitutes: Ben Hamer, Francisco Sierralta, Tom Ince, Mattie Pollock, Matheus Martins, Edo Kayembe.


Swansea City: Carl Rushworth, Jay Fulton (Joe Allen 69’), Ben Cabango, Harry Darling (Kyle Naughton 69’), Matt Grimes (captain), Jerry Yates (Jamal Lowe 60’), Jamie Paterson (Liam Cullen 60’), Josh Tymon, Przemyslaw Placheta, Nathan Wood, Ronald (Charlie Patino 81').

Unused substitutes: Andy Fisher, Josh Key, Ollie Cooper, Azeem Abdulai.


Referee: Tom Nield

Attendance: 16,440