Saturday 25th November 2023 Stadium

SWA Swansea


HUL Hull

- Days
- Hrs
- Mins
- Secs

25th November
Paterson Darling celebration

Goals from Jamie Paterson and Jerry Yates weren’t enough as Swansea City had to settle for a point after being pegged back by Hull City at the Stadium.

It was an end-to-end affair in SA1, with both sides creating chances but Paterson had a big say in the opening 45 minutes as he gave the Swans the lead in the 17th minute, and his parried shot then allowed Yates to tap in a second for the hosts six minutes later.

But the visiting Tigers responded in the second half with Jaden Philogene lashing in at the near post before Tyler Morton finished first time to draw the sides level.

Michael Duff had made two changes to the side which lost out to Ipswich Town before the international break. Ollie Cooper came in for the suspended Liam Cullen, while Ben Cabango replaced Harry Darling, who dropped to the bench.

Darling wasn’t on the bench for long, however. Harrison Ashby pulled up in the seventh minute with Duff bringing on the centre-back to slot into the right-back role.

Hull had the better of the early exchanges and Bashir Humphreys and Cabango were on hand to deny Liam Delap and Ozan Tufan respectively.

But two quick-fire goals from the Swans changed the complexion of the half.

Paterson opened the scoring as he produced a fine finish from a fast-paced counter attack. He met a ball backheeled into space by Cooper before cutting inside and drilling a left-footed finish inside the near post.

And Yates was on hand to double the lead six minutes later, tapping in after Paterson’s long-range effort was parried by Ryan Allsop.

Paterson continued to pull the strings. He played a delightful ball to Yates which was curled narrowly wide, and then teed up Cooper who drilled into the side-netting.

At the other end, Hull tested Carl Rushworth a few times, but the young shot-stopper was on hand to save Philogene’s tame effort from range before producing an excellent reaction stop to deny Jacob Greaves.

Jamie Paterson cele

However, Hull found a clinical edge in the second period. They flew out of the traps with Philogene halving the deficit within minutes of the restart.

He hammered in a left-footed effort at the near post after hanging wide and picking up a long cross-field pass from Cyrus Christie.

The second half became really stretched, with both sides surging forward in possession. Grimes volleyed over after nice build-up play from the Swans, while Delap chested in from Philogene’s cross but was flagged offside.

The visitors got back on level terms with 20 minutes remaining when Morton turned in substitute and former Swans man Christie’s cross from the right with a first-time finish.

Liam Walsh and Philogene exchanged efforts from distance but both brought about comfortable saves from the respective goalkeepers.

Yates had a late penalty appeal waved away as he appeared to be dragged down in the Hull box, while the Tigers broke down the other end, leaving Rushworth to deny Delap.

In the end, the two sides had to take a point apiece from what was an entertaining and, at times frantic, contest.


Swansea City: Carl Rushworth, Jay Fulton, Ben Cabango, Matt Grimes (captain), Jerry Yates, Jamal Lowe (Liam Walsh 76’), Jamie Paterson, Josh Tymon, Harrison Ashby (Harry Darling 9’), Ollie Cooper (Josh Key 86’), Bashir Humphreys.

Unused ubstitutes: Andy Fisher, Charlie Patino, Nathan Tjoe-A-On, Kyle Naughton, Cameron Congreve, Kyrell Wilson.


Hull City: Ryan Allsop, Lewie Coyle (captain), Jacob Greaves, Alfie Jones, Sean McLoughlin (Cyrus Christie 46’), Ozan Tufan (Jason Lokilo 46’), Tyler Morton, Liam Delap (Aaron Connolly 86’), Jaden Philogene, Jean Michael Seri, Scott Twine.

Unused substitutes: Matt Ingram, Greg Docherty, Allahyar Sayyadmanesh, Harry Vaughan, James Furlong, Andy Smith.