17/02/2013 15:00 v Liverpool

23rd June

The Swans suffered their heaviest defeat in the Premier League as Liverpool ran riot at Anfield.

Steven Gerrard got the scoring started when he tucked home a penalty in the 34th minute after referee Howard Webb awarded the spot-kick on the advice of his assistant after Kemy Agustien challenged Luis Suarez.

The Reds could have extended their lead before the break, but they took full advantage in the second half.

Just 14 seconds after the restart, Philippe Coutinho scored his first Liverpool goal before Jose Enrique notched another four minutes later.

Suarez made it 4-0 as the Swans couldn't cope with the constant home pressure, and then Daniel Sturridge finished off the scoring - another penalty given on the advice of the assistant - to complete a miserable afternoon in Merseyside for the Jack Army.

With the Capital One Cup Final against Bradford just seven days away, Michael Laudrup made seven changes to the starting XI.

The Swans made a bright start, with Roland Lamah making inroads towards the Liverpool goal but his cutback to Itay Shechter was snuffed out for a corner.

From Jonathan de Guzman's delivery, the ball fell to Lamah, who saw his shot deflect out off the arm of Glen Johnson, but referee Howard Webb rejected the penalty appeal.

Liverpool replied through Johnson, who first saw his low drive drift wide before he failed to keep Stewart Downing's corner on target.

The Swans wall then bravely blocked Gerrard's free-kick, and when the loose fell to Suarez, the Uruguayan fired high and wide from 15 yards out.

The striker went closer with a free-kick of his own shortly after, and then saw his volley drop onto the top of the net.

The Reds kept probing, and Downing's inch-perfect cross found Sturridge six yards out, but he couldn't get his diving header on target.

The home side went even closer after 25 minutes, Suarez sending Sturridge racing on towards goal, and when he cut inside, he went down under a challenge from Kyle Bartley. Webb waved away the appeals, but the loose ball made its way to Suarez, but he scuffed a great chance wide.

Then a big call was made in the 35th minute. After Gerrard curled in a deep corner which made its way to Suarez, the striker went tumbling over after a challenge from Agustien, and Webb awarded the penalty on the advice of his assistant.

Gerrard, who had seen his spot-kick saved against West Brom earlier in the week, stepped up and drilled home into the bottom corner.

The Kop was on its feet once again minutes later as Suarez sent Sturridge in on goal. He chipped over Vorm, but Bartley was there to head the danger away.

The home side made the perfect start, doubling their lead 14 seconds after the restart.

Coutinho raced towards goal and Vorm couldn't keep out his powerful effort to notch his first Reds goal and double the hosts' lead.

Coutinho almost grabbed another, only to see his back-heel from a low cross bounce just past the far post.

But things did get even worse for the Swans five minutes later as goal number three arrived. Jose Enrique played a well-worked one-two with Sturridge and the Spaniard poked home past the helpless Vorm.

And the home pressure was too much again for the visitors as Suarez made it 4-0 after 56 minutes. He twisted and turned before curling a well-placed shot into the bottom corner.

The Reds could have piled on more misery for Laudrup and Co minutes later as they were twice denied. Sturridge was kept out by the feet of Vorm when he raced through on goal before Bartley put his body on the line to block Suarez's effort when he latched onto the loose ball.

Vorm again came to the Swans' rescue, denying Sturridge with his foot before a second penalty was awarded - again via the assistant's call - in the 71st minute after sub Wayne Routledge was adjudged to have handled.

Gerrard handed over the spot-kick to Sturridge, who slotted home to make it 5-0.

Liverpool were hungry for more, and Sturridge's curling effort glanced off the crossbar after yet another wave of home pressure.

In a rare venture forward, a dipping Routledge shot pulled the best out of Pepe Reina, who kept the effort out with a diving save.

That was the last of the action as the final whistle brought a painful afternoon to an end.


LIVERPOOL: Pepe Reina, Glen Johnson, Jose Enrique, Daniel Agger, Luis Suarez (Fabio Borini, 78), Steven Gerrard (capt), Philippe Coutinho (Jordan Henderson, 60), Stewart Downing, Lucas (Joe Allen, 72), Daniel Sturridge, Jamie Carragher.
SUBS: Peter Gulacsi, Raheem Sterling, Jonjo Shelvey, Martin Skrtel.

SWANS: Michel Vorm, Dwight Tiendalli, Kyle Bartley, Garry Monk (capt), Ben Davies, Leon Britton, Kemy Agustien, Jonathan de Guzman, Pablo Hernandez (Nathan Dyer, 75), Roland Lamah (Wayne Routledge, 64), Itay Shechter (Angel Rangel, 83).
SUBS: Gerhard Tremmel, Ashley Williams, Michu, Luke Moore.