25/08/2012 11:45 v West Ham United

22nd June 2017

"We are top of the league," sang the Jack Army as the Swans continued their excellent start to the season by putting West Ham to the sword at the Liberty.

This 3-0 victory meant Swansea City - a club staring non-league football in the face nine years ago - were top of the pile in arguably the biggest league in the world.

Chelsea's game later in the day at home to Newcastle would decide if Michael Laudrup's would still be top come the end of the day, but it still marked the club's superb start to their second season in the top flight.

The ball got rolling after 21 minutes as Jussi Jaaskelainen failed to deal with Angel Rangel's cross, the ball deflecting under the keeper and into the net.

Another soon followed, Wales international James Collins underhit his backpass and Spaniard Michu raced on to beat Jaaskelainen to the ball before poking the ball home for his third goal in two games since arriving from Rayo Vallecano.

The Swans weren't finished there. Just after the hour mark, Rangel slipped in Wayne Routledge, who found Danny Graham some eight yards out and he tapped home his first of the season.

It was sublime stuff from the Swans, who now have six points from six, with eight goals scored and none conceded.

On the Bank Holiday weekend, the whole city would be in celebratory mood.

New club-record signing Ki Sung-Yueng was paraded on the pitch before kick-off, with the South Korea international not available following his move from Celtic.

In sunny conditions, the Swans make the brighter start of the two sides. Nathan Dyer saw his shot blocked after Ashley Williams picked out Angel Rangel with a sublime 40-yard cross-field pass, before Graham almost latched onto a through ball from Michu.

And the Liberty roared for the first time this season 21 minutes in as Dyer found the on-rushing Rangel, and the Spaniard's low cross wasn't dealt with by Jaaskelainen, with the ball squirming under the keeper and into the net.

It was a good start, but better followed on the half-hour mark. West Ham boss Sam Allardyce could only look on in despair for the first goal, and he wasn't too happy with the way his side conceded their second.

West Ham looked comfortable in possession just inside their own half when a weak back-pass from Collins saw Michu race on and beat Jaaskelainen to the ball before poking home for his third goal in two games.

The Hammers were stunned, and they immediately looked to cut the deficit with new signing Matt Jarvis's volley well-saved by Michel Vorm before Williams cleared.

Then, in added-on time, Collins got the slightest of touches with his head to a Jarvis corner, and Kevin Nolan was quickest to react but Rangel blocked his volley for a corner. From the resulting delivery, Carlton Cole rose highest but former Hammer Leon Britton cleared off the line.

The Hammers made a change at the break, Ricardo Vaz Te replacing James Tomkins.

But it was the Swans who created the first chance, Graham latching on to Routledge's through ball before curling his effort low towards the far post. However, Jaaskelainen got down low to parry it wide for a corner.

Graham was at it again, racing on to another Routledge threaded pass, but the assistant referee's flag was up for offside in what was a very close call.

If that was close, so was his next effort. Fantastic work by Dyer saw the winger race on past the halfway line and find Graham, who timed his run perfectly. He raced on towards Jaaskelainen, but his shot bounced inches wide of the inside of the far post.

The Swans were putting the Hammers under severe pressure, and when Graham's cross was nodded on by Michu, Routledge fired in a volley which was blocked by Collins.

But the Swans, and Graham, were not to be denied any longer. In the 64th minute, Rangel slipped through a pass to Routledge, whose run cut through the West Ham defence, and his cross found Graham, whose effort bounded over the line.

West Ham replied with a powerful low Vaz Te free-kick which Vorm did well to safely collect, before Michael Laudrup made a change for the remaining 15 minutes with Kemy Agustien replacing the impressive Jonathan de Guzman.

There was no let up for the visitors, Dyer dispossessed Collins before charging forward and firing his effort high and wide.

More changes were made for the last ten minutes, Luke Moore coming on in place of Routledge, who would have been well pleased with his afternoon's work, and Ben Davies making his debut at left-back in place of Neil Taylor.

Dyer then fired wide after some neat work by Moore, who was then denied a goal as twice his efforts from a quickly-taken free-kick were blocked in what proved the final act of the game.



SWANS: Michel Vorm, Angel Rangel, Chico Flores, Ashley Williams (capt), Neil Taylor (Ben Davies, 84), Leon Britton, Jonathan de Guzman (Kemy Agustien, 75), Michu, Nathan Dyer, Wayne Routledge (Luke Moore, 81), Danny Graham.
SUBS: Gerhard Tremmel, Alan Tate, 
Mark Gower, Stephen Dobbie.

WEST HAM: Jussi Jaaskelainen, Winston Reid, George McCartney, Kevin Nolan (capt), James Tomkins (Ricardo Vaz Te, ht), Matt Jarvis, Carlton Cole (Modibo Maiga, 62), Mark Noble, James Collins, Guy Demel, Mohamed Diame (Abou Diarra, 70).
SUBS: Stephen Henderson, Nicky Maynard, Matthew Taylor, Joey O'Brien.