FA CUP: Tranmere 2 Swans 6

3rd January

A goal-grabbing display sent the Swans into the fourth round of the FA Cup after a testing tie at Tranmere's Prenton Park.
Goals from Nathan Dyer, Tom Carroll, Modou Barrow, Bafe Gomis (2) and Wayne Routledge earned the Swans a 6-2 victory.

Swans boss Garry Monk made nine changes to the side that drew 1-1 with QPR on Thursday for this FA Cup third round tie.
Bafe Gomis and Nathan Dyer were the only survivors as Monk shuffled his pack after a hectic Christmas and New Year period.
Gerhard Tremmel started in goal with Jazz Richards and Dwight Tiendalli at full-backs, with Kyle Bartley and Jordi Amat in the heart of the defence.
Jay Fulton and Tom Carroll started in the centre of midfield with Marvin Emnes at the peak of the triangle.
Winger Modou Barrow completed the front-line with Dyer, who skippered the side, and Gomis.
Lukasz Fabianski, Federico Fernandez, Liam Shephard, Leon Britton, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Adam King provided back-up on the bench along with Wayne Routledge after his red card against QPR was rescinded on Friday.
They faced a Tranmere side sitting just above the relegation zone in League Two, but fighting back under new boss Mickey Adams.
The former Swansea boss, who had an eventful 13-day reign at the Vetch Field helm in 1997, had seen his side lose just three of their last 15 games.
Tranmere were without Jason Koumas (Achilles), Matt Hill (Achilles) and Liam Davies (knee), while Liam Ridehalgh returned from suspension.
They went into the game on the back of FA Cup victories over Bristol Rovers and Oxford United, the latter after a replay at Prenton Park.

Tranmere Rovers: Fon Williams, Holmes, Power, Ihiekwe, Holness, Laird, Stockton, Donacien, Jennings (c), Fenelon, Thompson. Subs: Brezovan, Ridehalgh, Baggie, Rowe, Kirby, Shuker, Madjo.
Swansea City: Tremmel, Richards, Tiendalli, Bartley, Amat, Fulton, Carroll, Emnes, Dyer (c), Gomis, Barrow. Subs: Fabianski, Fernandez, Shephard, Britton, Sigurdsson, Routledge, King.
Ref: P Tierney
Att: 10,007 (836 away)

Things get underway at Prenton Park with the Swans backed by an impressive following behind Tremmel's goal. 
Swansea were soon into their stride as Bafe Gomis created the first chance of the game; the striker firing a left-footed effort just wide after three minutes.
The visitors remained on the front foot as Dyer weaved his way down the left before setting up Emnes inside the area. His initial shot was blocked and the deflection just eluded Barrow at the far post before Tranmere cleared the resulting corner with 10 minutes gone.
With Swansea keeping possession well, Tranmere's Danny Holmes became the first player to go into the referee's notebook with a crude challenge on Barrow in the 15th minute.
Five minutes later and Swansea should have been ahead after a great build up saw Barrow pull the ball back for Gomis whose shot was tipped over superbly by Fon Williams. From the corner Barrow fired narrowly wide from the edge of the area.
It only looked a matter of time before Swansea would make the breakthrough as Emnes robbed Steve Jennings of possession in the middle of the park. His pass found Gomis who picked out Jay Fulton at the far post, but the young Scot failed to connect with his shot with 28 minutes on the clock.
Two minutes later and a powerful run from Emnes took him to the edge of the area. But having made room for the shot, it skidded inches the wrong side of the post.
The goal eventually arrived though in the 34th minute when Carroll rolled in Dyer inside his marker. Dyer cut inside and although his first shot was blocked, the winger followed up to fire the rebound home from 12 yards with the home side claiming a handball by Dyer in the build up.
Tranmere looked for an immediate response as Holmes fired wide from the edge of the area, before Shamir Fenelon forced Gerhard Tremmel into a save after some sloppy play from the Swans in possession.
It was a good reply from the home side as Jennings saw his shot from the edge of the area blocked in a crowded goalmouth.
Fulton became the first Swans player to be booked just before the break for a foul on Holmes.
But it was the Swans who went in at the interval with the one-goal advantage courtesy of captain Dyer.

Half-time: Tranmere 0 Swans 1

Neither side made any changes for the start of the second half. And it took just four minutes for Swansea to increase their lead.
A good break down the right by Barrow saw him slip the ball inside to Tom Carroll who beat his man before firing home his first goal for the club since his loan move from Spurs.
Tranmere boss Micky Adams responded by bringing on Jake Kirby for Josh Thompson in the 56th minute for the first change of the game.
No sooner had he come on, his side were 3-0 behind. When Gomis drilled a low cross across the face of goal for Mo Barrow to drill home from close range with 58 minutes gone. It was also the Gambian's first senior goal for the club.
Tranmere refused to give up though and Cole Stockton had an effort cleared off the line by Kyle Bartley before Jazz Richards blocked another shot in a goalmouth scramble that was eventually cleared.
Tempers were starting to flare though as Max Power was booked for a challenge that sent Barrow crashing into the advertising boards.
The home side pulled one back in the 71st minute though as Power charged down a clearance from Tremmel and the ball dropped into the net.
Swans boss immediately brought on Adam King for Fulton before Barrow found himself in the referee's notebook with Tranmere upping their game.
With Tranmere eyeing a possible comeback, Gomis killed the game off in the 76th minute with Swansea's fourth.
It came from a Swans counter-attack as Emnes drove forward before playing Gomis in on the edge of the area. The striker cut back inside and rolled a sublime finish into the far corner to make it 4-1.
Gomis thought he'd made it five in the 81st minute, but his close-range effort was ruled out for offside.
Bartley was booked for a clumsy foul soon after before Tranmere pulled another one back through Cole Stockton in the 83rd minute with a close-range header to make it 4-2.
And the goals kept on coming as Gomis set up substitute Wayne Routledge, who had replaced Dyer, in the 85th minute with a cool finish.
Deep into injury-time, Gomis grabbed his second as he weaved his way superbly through the Tranmere rearguard to round off a good day in the FA Cup.