FA YOUTH CUP: Swans 3 Watford 1

16th December 2014

The Under-18s progressed to the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup after coming back from a goal down to beat Watford.
The visitors got off to a fine start as Ogo Obi gave the Hornets the lead after seven minutes, while Owain Jones saw a penalty saved midway through the first half.
The Swans levelled on the half hour mark as Stephen Fallon lashed home, before Jones scored a fine solo goal to put the hosts ahead at the break.
Dan James grabbed a third with 20 minutes to play as the Under-18s capped a superb performance at Stebonheath Park to set up a fourth round tie against either Doncaster or Norwich.

SWANS U18s: Lewis Thomas, Aaron Lewis (Adnan Maric, 79), Cai Owens, Jamie Latham, Cameron Gilchrist, Joe Rodon, Stephen Fallon (Tom Dyson, 90), Dylan Thomas, Owain Jones (capt), Kyle Copp, Dan James (Brandon Griffiths, 90).

SUBS NOT USED: Jordan Sherman, Keston Davies.

WATFORD U18s: Arie Ammann, Alfi Young (capt), Charlie Rowan, Connor Stevens, Harry Kyprianou (Kunie Otudeko, 58), Max Makaka (Jacob Cook, 74), Carl Stewart, Dennan Lewis, Mahlondo Martin, Ogo Obi, Michael Folivi.

SUBS NOT USED: Nathan Gartside, Andrew Eleftheriou, Brandon Mason.

Both sides came into this cup tie in impressive form - Watford were unbeaten in six games while the Swans had won their previous seven matches.
But it was the visitors who got off to the perfect start as they broke the deadlock after just seven minutes.
After Michael Folivi had already seen an effort deflected over, Ogo Obi drove at the home defence before seeing his shot fly beyond goalkeeper Lewis Thomas.
However, the hosts responded well and after Kyle Copp had a penalty appeal waved away, Cameron Gilchrist twice close - one effort clipped the top of the bar before the defender saw a dipping half-volley drop onto the roof of the net.
And midway through the first half the Swans had a golden chance to level when Owain Jones was brought down in the box, but the striker saw his spot-kick superbly saved by Arie Ammann in the Watford goal.
But just five minutes later the home side were level as Jones teed up Stephen Fallon inside the penalty area and the Northern Irishman hit a low shot past Ammann.
Swansea continued to press - and despite Mahlondo Martin seeing a shot blocked in front of line for Watford - took the lead on the stroke of half-time.
As the ball broke in midfield, Owain Jones ran half the length of the pitch, beating two defenders before rifling a left-foot shot into the bottom corner

Half-time: Swans U18s 2 Watford U18s 1

Neither side made any changes at the interval, but it was Watford who went close to equalising ten minutes into the second period as Ogo Obi got into the box but the striker dragged a shot inches wide of the far post.
The game was by now becoming a very open contest and after Dan James saw a low shot parried away by Ammann, a goalmouth scramble ensued and Owain Jones' shot was blocked on the six-yard line.
The Swans continued to threaten and after a corner from the left fell to Cameron Gilchrist at the far post, the defender's fiercely struck effort was cleared off the line.
However, the hosts made their pressure count on 70 minutes as they scored a well-worked goal.
After the ball was worked out to Fallon on the inside right channel, the winger crossed low to the far post where the unmarked Dan James made no mistake to rifle home from six yards out.
Despite a late rally from Watford, in which both Dennon Lewis and Mahlondo Martin saw shots saved by Lewis Thomas, the hosts held firm and moved into round four where they will face either Doncaster or Norwich.