Gwion nets first international goal at the Liberty

19th May 2014

Swans youngster Gwion Edwards scored his first international goal - but it wasn't enough to prevent Wales from suffering defeat against England at the Liberty.
Nathan Redmond put the visitors ahead early on with a sharp finish, but Edwards levelled for the home side with a fine header.
Redmond restored England's lead before half time and the Norwich winger sealed his hat-trick with a deflected effort in stoppage time.
The result means Gareth Southgate's side remain top of their qualifying group, while Wales remain third - just one point ahead of fourth-placed Finland.

Swansea City midfielder Lee Lucas captained the home side, with winger Gwion Edwards also being named in Geraint Williams's starting line-up.
Meanwhile, fellow Swans youngsters James Loveridge and Daniel Alfei were named amongst the substitutes.
England, in pole position in Group 1, started brightly at the Liberty and could have taken the lead inside three minutes as Nathan Redmond cut in from the left before shooting just wide of the right-hand post.
Manchester United youngster Jesse Lingard then headed over from six yards out before England were rewarded for their dominance with the opening goal on 18 minutes.
Redmond, the stand-out performer on the night, did well once again on the left flank as he beat his man before firing a low shot past the outstretched hand of Connor Roberts in the Welsh goal.
Despite their early pressure, England allowed the hosts back into the game and after Wes Burns drew a smart save from Jack Butland, Wales levelled on 20 minutes.
From a Lee Evans corner from the left, young Swans winger Gwion Edwards rose unmarked to head home at the near post to start a bright period for Geraint Williams' side.
Just four minutes later, Lloyd Isgrove squandered a great chance to put the home side ahead but he shot straight at Butland, while the Stoke goalkeeper had to be at his best shortly after to deny Wes Burns.
However, England finished the half strongly and restored their lead when Redmond again found space outside the box and drilled a low shot into the bottom right hand corner.

Half time: Wales U21's 1 England U21's 2

England started the second period where they left off in the first and could well have extended their lead in the early stages as first Tom Ince - and then Nat Chalobah - both fired wide of goal from outside the box.
Gareth Southgate's side then came close on the hour mark as Nathan Redmond's trickery again caused problems down the left channel before the Norwich winger saw his fierce shot come back off the post.
Five minutes later the visitors came within a whisker of opening up a two-goal lead as James Ward-Prowse played in substitute Said Berahino inside the box, but despite beating Connor Roberts to the ball he diverted his effort the wrong side of the near post.
And Roberts had to be alert with fifteen minutes to go as Lingard weaved his way into the box before seeing his effort saved by the legs of the Cheltenham goalkeeper.
However, the visitors capped off a deserved win in stoppage time as Redmond drove at the Wales defence before curling his effort into the far corner for a fine treble.

WALES U21: Connor Roberts, Kieron Freeman (Daniel Alfei, 46), Declan John, George Ray, Joe Walsh, Lee Lucas (capt), Gwion Edwards, Josh Pritchard (Tom O'Sullivan, 42), Lee Evans, Lloyd Isgrove (George Williams, 40), Wes Burns.

WALES SUBS: Danny Ward, Morgan Fox, Tom O'Sullivan, Daniel Alfei, James Loveridge, George Williams, Robert Ogleby.

ENGLAND U21: Jack Butland (capt), Carl Jenkinson, Luke Garbutt, Nat Chalobah, Michael Keane, Liam Moore, Tom Ince (Harry Kane, 79 - Jake Forster-Caskey, 85), James Ward-Prowse, Jesse Lingard, Nathan Redmond, Danny Ings (Saido Berahino, 56).

ENGLAND SUBS: Tyias Browning, Jonathan Bond, Jake Forster-Caskey, Jordan Obita, Harry Kane, Saido Berahino, Solly March.