Past meetings | Charlton Athletic v Swansea City

1st October 2019
First team

As Swansea City get set to face Charlton Athletic at The Valley, we look back at some previous encounters against Saturday’s opposition.

Here, we recall past meetings in the old Second Division and Third Division South.

Charlton Athletic 2-2 Swansea City

Division Two – October 22, 1983

John Toshack’s Swans were held to a 2-2 draw at The Valley after a late equaliser from Charlton’s Steve Gritt ensured the spoils were shared.

It was a turbulent period for the club, with chairman Malcolm Struel resigning just a few days before the match amid the announcement of debts of £1.5 million.

Nigel Stevenson opened the scoring for the Swans in the 66th minute, before Jimmy Loveridge doubled the visitors’ advantage just five minutes later.

It did not take long for the hosts to get back into the game as they were awarded a penalty shortly after.

Derek Hales took the spot-kick but saw his effort saved by Swans keeper Jimmy Rimmer. However, the referee ruled that a re-take was necessary and Hales found the net at the second time of asking.

Swansea-born Dean Saunders replaced Colin Pascoe in the 80th minute to make his senior debut for the club.

But Gritt netted in the 86th minute to equalise for the home side and ensure the spoils were shared.

The Swans were relegated to Division Three at the end of the 1983-84 season, having won only seven games and losing 27.

Charlton Athletic 1-2 Swansea City

Division Two – May 3, 1980

Leighton James netted on his debut for the Swans in a match which confirmed relegation for Charlton.

Charlton took the lead minutes before the interval through Martin Robinson in front of their lowest gate of the season.

James replaced Alan Waddle immediately after the break and found the net within two minutes to put the match back on level terms.

In the dying minutes of the game, Jeremy Charles set up David Giles who lobbed Charlton’s keeper to confirm relegation for Athletic and secure the victory for John Toshack’s Swans.

The Swans finished in 12th position in Division Two at the end of the 1979-80 season on 43 points.

Charlton Athletic 2-2 Swansea Town

Division Two – August 18, 1962

Goals from Herbie Williams and Kenny Morgans saw Trevor Morris’ Swans draw 2-2 at The Valley on the opening day of the 1962-63 season.

Dennis Edwards netted on the half-hour mark to put the hosts ahead, but the Swans reacted quickly with Williams equalising just four minutes later.

Former ‘Busby Babe’ Morgans then put the Swans ahead in the 69th minute, before Brian Tocknell’s late equaliser saw the points shared.  

In a game that saw Eddie Thomas and Glyn Davies making their debut for the Swans, the visitors had the edge and were unlucky not to come away with two points.

The Swans would go on to finish in 15th position in the Second Division at the end of the 1962-63 season on 39 points.

Charlton Athletic 1-3 Swansea Town

Division Three South – December 8, 1923

A brace from Harry Deacon and a goal from Jack Smith rounded off a superb Swans performance in this victory at The Valley.

The Swans went into the game top of the league and their fine performance and precise passing was indeed worthy of a team setting the pace.

Both Deacon and Smith found the net in the first half, whilst Charlton replied through Bert Goodman.

Deacon burst through to score his second after the break to seal the 3-1 triumph for Joe Bradshaw’s side.

However, the Swans would narrowly miss out on promotion at the end of the 1923-24 season, finishing the season in fourth place.