Report | Accrington Stanley U18s 1 Swansea City U18s 0 (AET)

14th December 2021
Swansea City Under-18s Ben Lloyd

Swansea City Under-18s suffered extra-time heartbreak as they were knocked out of the FA Youth Cup by Accrington Stanley. 

The sides could not be separated after a goalless 90 minutes, with both teams guilty of failing to take their chances, but Lewis Trickett struck the decisive blow in the 112th minute.

It means the Lancashire club advance to take on Charlton Athletic in round four of the competition.

The first chance of the game fell to the hosts in front of a crowd of over 800 at the Wham Stadium, with Owen Devenport firing a volley wide 15 minutes in.

Swansea struggled for sustained possession in the early stages, but came close through Jack Cooper who powered Ben Lloyd’s corner just wide.

But as Swansea grew into the game, they began to create more dangerous openings; Iwan Morgan coming close after cutting in from the left before bending a shot just over the bar.

Lloyd also came close after winning the ball high up the pitch, but his effort from the edge of the box flew over.

Seb Dabrowski made an important clearance off the line just before the break, preventing Calvin Harper’s header from crossing the line.

Cooper was forced off the field early in the second half, going down holding his leg before being replaced by Kai Ludvigsen.

Brandon Gough then went close for Stanley, powering a shot just over the bar from distance with 20 minutes to go.

Morgan was the next to threaten as the Swans responded again, Zane Myers drove forward before releasing the forward, but his shot from the edge of the area was well saved by the goalkeeper.

Trickett cut in from the left before his shot was deflected, but Ben Hughes reacted to well to make the save as extra-time beckoned and was eventually required.

With nine minutes to go in the additional half-hour, substitute Geoff Bony broke down the right, but he dragged his low shot just wide of the post.

And the hosts would go up the other end to win it as a low cross allowed Trickett to tuck the ball home into the bottom corner and condemn the Swans to an early exit from the prestigious competition.

Accrington Stanley Under-18s: Louis Hood, Vandis Akukwe, Connor O’Brien (captain), Brandon Gough (Alex Henderson 77), Aaron Pickles, Havrey Monk, Owen Devonport (Harley Lawton 103), Calvin Harper (Mateusz Kardacz 115), Leslie Adekoya, Lewis Trickett, Emerich Poilly.

Unused subs: Max Clayton, Jasper Newton, Will Procter, George Eze.

Swansea City Under-18s: Ben Hughes, Filip Lissah (Aaron Hillier 90), Jack Cooper (Kai Ludvigsen 61), Harry Jones, Seb Dabrowski, Zane Myers (Dan Watts 82), Joel Cotterill (captain), Josh Carey, Cameron Congreve, Ben Lloyd, Iwan Morgan (Geoff Bony 97).

Unused subs: Kit Margetson, Ruben Davies, Kieran Petrie.

Attendance: 825