REPORT: Swans U23s 2 Feyenoord U23 0

11th October 2016

A 25 yard strike from Tom Plezier helped Swansea City Under-23s win their opening Group D game against Feyenoord 2 in the Premier League International Cup at Landore on Tueday.
The young Swans took the lead on ten minutes as the Dutch defender unleashed a powerful shot past Par Hansson.
Striker Botti Biabi scored a penalty in second half injury time to make sure of the Swans debut victory in the European competition.

Swansea City made seven changes to the side that beat Newport County in the Checkatrade Trophy last week. 
Aaron Lewis and Tom Plezier came into defence with Jack Evans, Adnan Maric and Tom Dyson all making starts in midfield.
Slovenian Under-21 international Gregor Zabret came back into goal for the young Swans. There was also a starting place for young winger Jordan Garrick.
Feyenoord lined-up with a strong side including seven players with first team experience in their staring XI.

SWANS U23sGregor Zabret, Aaron Lewis, Tom Plezier (Tom Holland, 89)Jack Evans, Keston Davies (Capt), Tyler Reid, Alex Samuel, Adnan Maric, Botti Biabi, Tom Dyson (George Byers, 53)Jordan Garrick (Alex Bray, 84).
SUBS NOT USED: Ross Treacy, Ryan Blair.


FEYENOORD U23s: Par Hansson, Bart Nieuwkoop (Tyrell Malacia, 82), Sven van Beek (Mats Knoester, 60), Wessel Dammers, Miquel Nelom, Marko Vejinović (Capt), Rashaan Fernandes, Gustavo Hamer (Dylan Vente, 70), Michiel Kramer, Simon Gustafson, Mohamed El Hankouri.
SUBS NOT USED: Ramon ten Hove, Faris Hammouti.

Swansea took the lead ten minutes in as Dutch defender Tom Plezier picked-up a loose ball outside the area before cutting inside and unleashing a 25 yard drive that beat Feyenoord keeper Par Hansson.
The Dutch side looked to get back on level terms and could have equalised five minutes later as striker Michael Kramer found his way inside the area to beat Gregor Zabret in the Swans net only for his effort to be cleared by Tyler Reid.
The young Swans worked some fluid passing in midfield as a neat one-two saw Adnan Maric race through on goal with a 30 yard run only for Hansson to deny the midfielder's shot with his leg.
Minutes later Botti Biabi and Maric linked-up again, this time the midfielder could only fire his low drive just wide of the Feyenoord net.
On the half hour mark the visitors came close to leveling as the ball found Mo El Hankouri in space on the left before for the Moroccan's effort to be denied by the post.
The Swans came close to doubling the lead just before half time as Aaron Lewis' cross from the right found Maric in the box, but the midfielder's close rage effort was gathered gratefully by Hansson.
The Feyenoord keeper was called into action again in stoppage time as Biabi found space to fire at goal only for the strike to be punched clear before the half time whistle.

HALF TIME: Swans U23s 1 - 0 Feyenoord U23s

Swansea continued to press after the restart and could have doubled their lead four minutes in as winger Jordan Garrick's pacey run beat two players down the right flank only for his effort to sail wide of the mark
Feyenoord continued to look for an equaliser as Miquel Nelcom's shot tested Zabret, the Slovakian keeper acrobatically saving the defender's effort.
Later in the half Feyenoord's Gustavo Hamer rifled a shot over the bar from 30 yards as Swans further Swans chances fell to Garrick and Biabi.
Swans keeper Zabret made a crucial save late on to deny a Feyenoord equaliser before Botti Biabi made sure of the victory from the penalty spot in stoppage time after Alex Samuel was fouled in the box.