Report | Swansea City U18s 2 Queens Park Rangers U18s 1

8th December 2020
Swansea City U18s celebrate

Morgan Clarke scored a late winner as Swansea City Under-18s advanced to the FA Youth Cup fourth round by beating Queens Park Rangers at Landore.

The tie appeared to be heading for extra-time after Micah Anthony cancelled out Michael Murphy's effort in the first half.

But Anthony Wright's side netted the decisive third goal 10 minutes from time, with Clarke's deflected strike sending them through to round four for the first time since the 2017-18 season.

The young Swans went straight onto the attack with Josh Thomas' attempted through ball for Murphy inside the opening minute just a having too much on it.

Thomas volleyed just wide soon after, before he was somehow denied by Matteo Salamon from close range following a quickfire break from Rio Campbell.

The hosts did break the deadlock in the 18th minute. Adrian Akande darted into the area from the right before pulling the ball back to the penalty spot, where Murphy swept home.

Michael Murphy

QPR, who had conceded 33 goals in their nine games heading into today, looked to respond to falling behind with Sinclair Armstrong shooting straight at Tyler Evans on a couple of occasions.

The equaliser arrived in the 38th minute with Anthony drilling past Evans from outside the box.

The Swans looked to regain the advantage before the break. Thomas embarked on a jinking run into the area and made space to shoot, only to see his effort come back off the post.

The woodwork denied the hosts again from the resulting corner, as Erick Kenko's deflected strike rattled the crossbar.

Chances did not fall too freely for either side after the break, but the intensity increased as the clock ticked into the final 20 minutes with a place in the fourth round at stake.

Salamon denied Thomas from a tight angle while, at the other end, Kai Ludvigsen just about did enough to put off Armstrong, who raced onto a long ball over the top of the Swans defence.

But it was the Swans who found the decisive third goal of the contest with 10 minutes remaining.

Ludvigsen and skipper Scott Butler combined neatly in the box with the former teeing up Clarke, whose deflected shot nestled in the bottom corner.

Swansea City U18s: Tyler Evans; Jacob Edwards, Kai Ludvigsen, Scott Butler (capt), Cian Williams; Erick Kenko, Morgan Clarke; Adrian Akande, Michael Murphy, Rio Campbell (Cameron Congreve, 69); Josh Thomas.

Subs not used: Josh Hutchings, Panashe Makokowe, Aaron Hillier, Dylan Perkins, Ruben Davies, Adnaan Moti.

QPR U18s: Matteo Salamon, Mason McLean (capt), Sam Bagan (Henry Hawkins, 86), Harun Hamid, Arkel J-Boyd, Alison Paiva, Lemar Griffiths (Adam Dougui, 67), Alex Aoroha, Sinclair Armstrong, Chima Eze (Ferrell Danso, 78), Micah Anthony.

Subs not used: Harry Cant, Ryan Hayes.