Report | Swansea City U18s 3 Sheffield United U18s 1

15th April
Kyrell Wilson

A second-half brace from Kyrell Wilson and a Iwan Morgan strike helped Swansea City Under-18s extend their unbeaten run to seven games with victory over Sheffield United at Landore.

Substitute Wilson opened the scoring with a powerful header four minutes after his introduction. However, the young Blades responded almost immediately through George Dickinson's spot-kick.

But Wilson put the home side back ahead when he fired home with under 20 minutes to go, before Morgan rounded things off in stoppage time.

The Swans had Jack Cooper and Charlie Veevers in their matchday squad following lengthy spells on the side-lines. 

There were several changes to the side that had beaten Queens Park Rangers last time out. Goalkeeper Evan Watts skippered the side in his second start since returning from injury. Meanwhile, Jada Mawongo, Sam Parker and Geoff Bony also returned to the starting XI.

Swansea made by far the brighter start, showing real intensity and threat in their attacking play. 

However, the Blades had the first clear-cut chance of the afternoon. They swept forward through Dickinson whose delivery was headed well over by Jackson Blaize.  

Swansea came forward again, Jacob Cook and Sam Parker linked and tried to find Morgan surging into the area, but Parker’s final cross-field pass proved just too strong for the striker

Swansea began to build some pressure as the game neared the interval, penning the visitors back inside their third. 

Geoff Bony

Bony saw two threatening strikes parried away by Callum Yam in the space of three minutes, with the United keeper ensuring the teams headed back to the changing rooms goalless with the game goalless. 

But Swansea responded seconds later. Morgan drove down the left beating his man only for his shot to strike the near post.  

However, they did not have to wait long for the opener as half-time substitute Wilson arrived to head home an excellent ball from Bony.

However, the lead lasted barely 60 seconds. Houghton-Parris was fouled in the box, and the referee pointed to the spot with no hesitation. Dickinson found the bottom right corner for the equaliser. 

Dan Watts looked to utilise his set-piece strengths once again with an inviting ball into the area, but it was deflected out for a Swans corner. 

But the Swans got their noses back in front with another fine goal from Wilson, advancing down the right flank before firing a powerful effort into the bottom corner. 

Nearing the final whistle, Sri Lankan defender Mawongo did well to block a Stafford Clarke effort from outside of the area.

And that fine piece of defending got its just reward when the Swans added their third goal in stoppage time.

With the keeper off his line, Wilson chipped the ball downfield and Morgan advanced to slot the ball into the empty net.

Swansea City Under-18s: Evan Watts (captain) (Ewan Griffiths 56'), Arthur Parker, Richard Faakye, Jacob Cook, Jada Mawongo, Daniel Watts (Charlie Veevers 83'), Sam Parker (Kyrell Wilson 45'), Thomas Woodward, Geoff Bony (Jack Cooper 56'), Iwan Morgan, Callum Deacon (Rohan Davies 85'). 

Sheffield United Under-18s: Callum Yam, Jack Waldron, Mekhi Haughton-Parris, Levis Pitan, Seth Okeyre, Ben Drake, Brandon Ly (Trialist B 80'), George Dickinson, Sam Aston, Stafford Clarke, Jackson Blaize (Tavio Ciccarelli 68') 

Unused subs: Trialist A, Ryan Andrews, Zain Tahir.