Report | Swansea City U23s 1 Manchester United U23s 4

21st October 2019
Keiran Evans 16x9

Swansea City Under-23s saw their unbeaten run come to an end as Manchester United fought back to claim victory in Landore.

The Swans – on the back of four successive wins in all competitions – had surged into an early lead thanks to Keiran Evans’ low strike as part of a confident start by the hosts.

However, they were soon pegged back by Largie Ramazani’s free-kick and Dylan Levitt’s penalty gave the Red Devils the interval lead.

And they made sure of the victory in this Premier League 2 clash thanks to D’Mani Mellor’s finish and Aliou Traore's stoppage-time effort. 

Gary Richards and Cameron Toshack had made five changes to the side that launched their Premier League Cup campaign with a 2-1 victory over Charlton Athletic before the international break.

One of them saw Barrie McKay handed the opportunity to get some valuable minutes under his belt.

Meanwhile, skipper Jack Evans was also recalled to the side, along with Josh Gould in goal as well as Keiran Evans and Liam Cullen.

There were openings for each side during the opening minutes.

In-form striker Cullen saw his shot blocked on the edge of the area, while Arnau Puigmal dragged a shot across the face of the Swans goal.

And the Swans made the most of their next chance as Keiran Evans drove forward to find McKay, and then swept a low shot past the keeper at the near post after getting the ball back from Scot.

However, the lead lasted just eight minutes as Ramazani bent a free-kick over the wall, with the curl and dip enough to beat Gould low down to his right.

United should have led seven minutes later, but Ramazani hesitated when played into space, and his attempted lay-off to Puigmal was well cut out by Simon Paulet.

Swansea responded just before the half-hour mark, Cullen sending in a fine cross that Cameron Evans came close to getting on the end of.

Five minutes before the break and Cullen had another sight of goal from Keiran Evans’ pass, but Matej Kovar in the United goal was equal to it.

But United went straight up the other end and struck what proved to be the decisive blow.

Levitt’s long ball released Traore and, when his cross cannoned off Brandon Cooper, the defender was adjudged to have handled in his own area.

Wales age-grade international Levitt stepped up to take the spot-kick, and the United skipper calmly beat Gould to send the visitors in ahead at half-time.

The second half was a tighter affair after a fast and often frenetic first 45 minutes.

Swansea had their openings with Cullen a busy presence up front, but it was United who sealed the win. 

Mellor was the beneficiary of good play by full-back Ethan Laird to score their third via a deflection off Gould, before Traore rounded off the scoring in stoppage time with a fine solo effort.


Swansea City U23s: Josh Gould; Tivonge Rushesha, Cameron Evans, Brandon Cooper, Matt Blake (Jake Thomas 60); Jack Evans (capt), Simon Paulet; Barrie McKay, Keiran Evans (Kees de Boer 73), Josh Thomas; Liam Cullen.

Subs not used: Lewis Webb, Marc Walsh, Ryan Bevan.