Report | Swansea City U23s 1 Peterborough United U23s 1

24th September 2021
Tarrelle Whittaker

Swansea Under-23s were held to a draw against Peterborough as a late equaliser rescued a point for the visiting Posh at Landore.

The Swans were put a goal ahead by Tarrelle Whittaker – who also netted in the 4-2 win over Crewe Alexandra on Monday – as he converted from the penalty spot just three minutes in.

The hosts maintained control for the rest of the first half, but the Posh ramped up the pressure after the break to make the Swans work to stay ahead.

An impressive display from Lewis Webb and the Swansea backline looked set to give the Swans their first clean sheet of the season, until late sub Emmanuel Ogbonna rescued a point for the visitors in injury time.

The under-23s now have four points from three games in the Professional Development League with two games in hand, as they look ahead to their next clash away to Colchester next week.

It didn’t take long for the first goal-scoring opportunity to present itself for the hosts; just three minutes in, the Swans were awarded a penalty after Harry Jones’ delivery from the right flank struck the hand of defender Harry Thomas.

Whittaker got his side off to a flying start, stepping up to the spot and firing a powerful effort right down the middle. Despite getting a hand to the effort, keeper William Lakin couldn’t do enough to keep it out of the net.

The hosts dictated the pace of the game through the opening 15 minutes, enjoying the lion’s share of the ball and creating the more dangerous chances.

The Swans looked eager to continue attacking down the flanks after their early success with their penalty shout.

A barrage of crosses just before the 20-minute mark earned them a chance that the side very nearly converted, after goalscorer Whittaker got on the end of a bobbling loose ball that was ultimately blocked by a blue shirt.

Dylan Morgan.

The visitors wrestled back some control at the 25-minute mark, stringing a well-worked passing attack down the right wing that yielded a corner, which was dealt with calmly by Swans skipper Scott Butler.

A superb goalline block then prevented Posh from finding their equaliser on the half-hour mark.

Forward Harmeed Ishola skipped down the left wing, getting by centre-half Ben Margetson and firing across the face of Webb.

His shot was parried away, but the Swans were not yet out of the woods; winger Andrew Oluwaburi found himself on the end of the loose ball, and, with room to shoot, fizzed the ball past Webb, an effort that surely would have found the net if not for Margetson’s well-timed block.

Peterborough earned another corner with under 10 minutes to go in the first half which saw the visitors come close again.

The delivery found Ishola on the back post, but the forward couldn’t get enough on the ball, dragging his headed effort just wide of the post.

Lincoln Mcfayden created an excellent chance for the Swans 40 minutes in, beating his man on the left wing to zip a low cross across the face of goal.

Despite having several white shirts in the vicinity, however, none could get a touch to the ball, which sailed out harmlessly for a throw-in.

Anthony Wright and Kristian O'Leary

The half-time whistle saw one goal separate the sides, but, despite being a low-scoring affair up to this point, the period was not short of action, with both sides creating several goal scoring opportunities.

The first substitute of the half came by way of the hosts, with Adrian Akande replacing Margetson, who appeared to pick up a leg injury after a challenge on midfielder Kellan Hickinson.

With 10 minutes gone in the second half, Kris O’Leary made his second change of the afternoon, bringing on Jaden Forrester to replace Ben Lloyd.

And Forrester nearly made an immediate impact, as he looked to get on the end of a sublime cross played by Mcfayden from the left side. The forward came just short, however, of getting the key touch.

A great save by Webb denied Kobe Chong’s long-range effort that looked destined for the bottom left corner, with what was the substitute’s first touch of the ball.

The second half became increasingly cagey, although the Swans continued to impress defensively. 

A slick one-two between attacking duo Johnson Gryamfi and Ishola forced Butler into action, wrestling the ball from the latter and clearing the danger.

The captain was fouled in the skirmish but carried on as the side fought to stay ahead on the scoreboard.

With over an hour gone, the Posh made their second sub, bringing on Ogbonna to replace Ishola.

Peterborough were unlucky not to score with an effort by Aaron Powell that rattled the crossbar from inside the box.

But the visitors found an equaliser in the dying moments of the game, with substitute Ogbonna firing a right-footed effort just out of Webb’s reach, preventing the Swans from claiming all three points.

Swansea City U23s: Lewis Webb; Harry Jones, Jacob Jones, Azeem Abdulai, Scott Butler (captain); Ben Margetson, Joel Cotterill, Ben Lloyd; Dylan Morgan, Tarrelle Whittaker, Lincoln Mcfayden.

Subs: Rio Campbell, Nice Hansen, Adrian Akande, Cian Williams, Jaden Forrester.

Peterborough U23s: William Lakin; Elhan Bojang, Aaron Powell, Kyle Baiker (captain), Harry Thomas; Charlie O’Connell, Andrew Oluwaburi, Luke Harris; Harmeed Ishola, Kellan Hickinson, Johnson Gryamfi.

Subs: Kobe Chong, Matthew Laycock, William van Lier, Roddy McGinchey, Emmanuel Ogbonna.