Swansea City Newport County Under-19s FAW Youth Cup Semi-finals

9th March

Goals from Kyle Copp and Matt Blake helped Swansea City Under-19s progress to their ninth successive FAW Youth Cup final with a 2-0 win over Newport County on Wednesday.
Copp scored a penalty in the first half after Daniel James was fouled in the area before Blake volleyed home after the break to secure the win at the Genquip Stadium.
The young Swans will meet either Penybont FC or GAP Connahs Quay in the final next month.

SWANS U19s: Lewis Thomas (Capt), Mael Davies (Dan Jefferies, 75) Matthew Blake, Jordan Jones (Liam Cullen, 66), Keston Davies, Joe Rodon, Owain Jones, Adnan Maric, Jordan Garrick (Brandon Griffiths, 80), Kyle Copp, Daniel James
SUBS: Ross Treacy (GK), Jack Watts

NEWPORT COUNTY U19s: Elliot Matthews, Nathan Mathias, Finlay Wood (Sam James, 70), Jake Young (Moudou Touray, 75), Liam Angel (Capt), Kieran Parselle, Lewis Bamford, Corey Shephard, Kyron Tolland, Cedric Matondo (Rhys Kavanagh, 60), Dafydd Jones
SUBS: Harry Waterhouse, Andrew Evans

The hosts could have taken an early lead at the Genquip Stadium as Owain Jones saw his cross shot saved by Exiles keeper Elliot Matthews after two minutes.
Matthews was on hand again to keep the score level on ten minutes as he tipped Kyle Copp's shot from the edge of the area round the post.
Newport's first chance came after a quarter of an hour as a well-timed challenge from Dafydd Jones allowed the winger to race goalwards only for his effort to sail inches wide of Lewis Thomas' post.
Swansea could have taken the lead ten minutes later when Copp's whipped corner found Jordan Garrick at the far post, but the striker's header went narrowly over the bar.
But the young Swans did break the deadlock minutes later when a foul on Daniel James saw a penalty awarded. Copp stepped up to convert the spot-kick into the bottom corner to give the Swans the lead.
Corey Shephard - brother of Swans defender Liam - went close for Newport soon after only to drag his shot wide of goal.
Before the break, Owain Jones fired wide as the young Swans took a narrow advantage into the second half.

HALF TIME: Swans U19s 1 Newport County U19s 0

Newport started the second half brightly and went close to taking the lead after 52 minutes as midfielder Shephard raced away from the Swans defence only to send his shot inches wide.
Minutes later, Swansea had a chance to double the lead when a free-kick into the box from Keston Davies found the head of Joe Rodon, but the defender's effort dropped wide.
The young Swans should have extended their lead just after the hour mark as midfielder Adnan Maric found space on the flank to cross into the box, but Garrick failed to connect at the far post.
James then broke inside from the wing to curl an effort just wide minutes later before Newport's Dafydd Jones fired over at the other end.
James continued to cause the County defence problems as he carved his way through the midfield to play in Owain Jones, but the winger's powerful effort was saved by Matthews.
Swansea doubled their lead 15 minutes from time when the ball broke to left-back Matt Blake who fired a volley over Matthews.
Newport looked for a way back into the game but they were denied by substitute Dan Jefferies, who cleared Dafydd Jones' shot off the line.

PHOTOGRAPHY: DaviesSportPhotos