Swansea City Plymouth Argyle

8th November 2016

Two first-half goals saw Swansea City Under-23s progress to the knock-out stage of the Checkatrade Trophy with a 2-0 win over League Two leaders Plymouth Argyle at the Liberty Stadium on Tuesday evening.
The Swans, made up of a mix of youth and experience, took the lead inside a quarter of an hour as the fast feet of Daniel James wove through the defence to slot past Vincent Dorel.
Striker Oli McBurnie doubled the lead on 20 minutes with a rifled shot into the top corner.
Plymouth were reduced to ten men on the stroke of half-time as Jordan Bentley picked up a second yellow card.
Both sides played out a subdued second half in front of 641 fans with the victory meaning the young Swans end the Pilgrims' six-game unbeaten run.

Gary Richards and Cameron Toshack made six changes to the side that last played in the Checkatrade Trophy during the 2-1 win against Newport County in October.
Swans first team players Kristoffer Nordfeldt, Kyle Naughton and Jack Cork all started as the side's overage players.
Joe Rodon returned to the heart of the defence with fellow Wales Under-21 international Daniel James making his first start in the competition on the wing.
Striker Oli McBurnie, who signed a one-year contract extension earlier in the day, started up front against the League Two leaders.

SWANS: Kristoffer Nordfeldt, Kyle Naughton, Keston Davies (Capt), Joe Rodon, Tyler Reid, Jack Cork, Ryan Blair, Daniel James, Alex Samuel (Alex Bray, 77), George Byers (Tom Holland, 86), Oli McBurnie.
UNUSED SUBS: Gregor Zabret, Botti Biabi, Tom Dyson, Tom Plezier, Brandon Cooper.

PLYMOUTH: Vincent Dorel  (Marc McCallum, 84), Nauris Bulvitis, David Goodwillie, Jordan Slew (Craig Tanner, 73), Graham Carey (Capt), Ryan Donaldson, Jake Jervis, Sonny Bradley, Ben Purrington (Karleigh Osborne, 53) David Ijaha, Jordan Bentley. 
UNUSED SUBS: Yann Songo'o, Jimmy Spencer, David Fox.

The League Two leaders looked to take an early lead at a rain-soaked Liberty Stadium as Graham Carey's low drive tested Kristoffer Nordfeldt inside the first five minutes.
Soon after, Swansea midfielder Jack Cork found space in midfield to rifle a long-range effort only for Vincent Dorel to keep his effort out.
The Pilgrims almost took the lead from the counter attack as a pass from David Goodwillie on the left found Jake Jervis in the box, only for the midfielder's effort to creep inches wide of the mark.
Swansea began to gain confidence in the final third as winger Daniel James played a neat one-two with Oli McBurnie before James' stinging shot was tipped round the post by Dorel.
The young Swans took the lead three minutes later as James darted into the box from the left before calmly slotting past the Pilgrims keeper.
Swansea doubled their lead on the 20-minute mark as McBurnie cut in from the left to rifle a powerful shot past the French keeper into the top corner.
Plymouth desperately tried to get a goal back before half-time as a Jordan Slew cross fell to Goodwillie, but his shot from inside the area flew over the bar.
And to make matters worse the visitors were reduced to ten men as Jordan Bentley received a second yellow for a late challenge on James seconds before the half-time whistle.


The young Swans raced out of the blocks and almost extended their lead inside a minute of the restart as Ryan Blair shook off his markers to find George Byers advancing on the wing, but the midfielder's cross was cut out by Dorel before James and McBurnie could pounce.
Plymouth's free-kick from the right was then saved by Nordfeldt, but that was the only danger Plymouth created in a sparse second period.
Swansea continued to search for a third goal as Blair's pass found Alex Samuel inside the area, but the French keeper again denied the winger's fierce shot.
Goodwillie fired over the bar from inside the area while, at the other end, McBurnie had a chance to net his second of the night in the 75th minute but he couldn't keep his effort down from James' cross.
The Scottish striker again went close in the closing stages as he rounded substitute keeper Marc McCallum but could only guide his shot into the side netting minutes before full-time.
But the young Swans had done enough to book their place in the next round of the competition.