Swansea City under-18s FA Youth Cup

9th January 2017

Swansea City Under-18s bowed out of the FA Youth Cup on Monday night following a 3-1 defeat to Newcastle United at St James' Park.
Lewis McNall's penalty gave the Magpies the lead inside five minutes after a foul on Owen Gallacher. 
The young Swans rallied to get a reply via Liam Edwards and Oliver Cooper, but they failed to convert their chances.
Swansea were handed another opportunity to level minutes before half-time as the referee pointed to the spot for a second time. But Newcastle goalkeeper Nathan Harker saved Keiran Evans' spot-kick to ensure the home side held the lead at the break.

Swansea came out fighting in the second half and levelled inside ten minutes of the restart as Liam Cullen pounced to fire home from close range after the Magpies failed to clear a corner. 
Chris Llewellyn's side had chances to take the lead at St James' Park as they dominated for a 20-minute spell, but Harker denied substitute Causso Darame before saving Ben Cabango's header.
Newcastle responded and regained their advantage through substitute Thomas Allen, who headed home in the 67th minute.
The Swans continued to search for a second equaliser as substitute Mason Jones-Thomas went close at the far post.
But Newcastle secured their place in the fifth round with a second goal from Allen deep into stoppage time after Swans keeper Ross Treacy was left stranded up field after going up for a corner.

NEWCASTLE UNITED U18s: Nathan Harker, Craig Spooner, Kieren Aplin (Lewis Cass 77), Matty Longstaff, Owen Bailey, Lewis Gibson, Owen Gallacher (Adam Wilson 75), Mace Goodridge, Lewis McNall, Mo Sangare (Thomas Allan 46), Callum Smith.
SUBS NOT USED: Otto Huuhtanen, Daniel Lowther.

SWANS U18s: Ross Treacy, Mael Davies, Ben Ericksen (Joe Lewis 62), Tom Price, Ben Cabango, Brandon Cooper, Oliver Cooper, Cameron Berry (Mason Thomas-Jones 75), Liam Cullen, Keiran Evans (Causso Darame 56), Liam Edwards.
SUBS NOT USED: Alex Lang, Marco Dulca.

Photos by Serena Taylor/NUFC