Swansea City Under-21s Millwall League Cup

23rd November 2015

A last minute goal in extra-time saw Swansea City Under-21s crash out of the League Cup against Millwall at rain soaked Landore on Monday night.

The Swans started the brighter team and took the lead on the stroke of half-time thanks to a bullet header from Keston Davies.

Millwall took advantage of a mix-up in defence to equalise through striker Mikael Ndjoli minutes into the restart.

Swansea hit the woodwork three times during the game but failed to find the net during the full 90 minutes meaning the game headed into extra-time.

And despite the U21s dominating large spells it was a late strike from Ndjoli that would break Swans hearts with a last gasp effort. 

The Under-21s faced Millwall in the last 32 of the Premier League Cup at Landore.

The Swans made two changes to the team that lost away at Fulham last month with Ryan Hedges recovering from injury to come back into the starting XI.

Meanwhile Gregor Zabret replaced the injured Josh Vickers in goal while defender Liam Shephard continued as captain.

Millwall made seven changes to the side that beat Crystal Palace 5-1 in Professional Development League Two with Keaton Wood, Christian Mbulu, Kyron Farrell and Jack Powell keeping their place in the visitors starting line-up.

SWANS U21s: Gregor Zabret, Liam Shephard (Capt), Raheem Hanley, Henry Jones, Keston Davies, Alex Gogic, Owain Jones (Dan Alfie, 110), Adnan Maric, Oliver McBurnie, Daniel James, Ryan Hedges (Kyle Copp, 81)

SUBS: Botti Biabi, Lewis Thomas, Joe Rodon

MILLWALL U21s: Tom King, James Brown, Noah Chesmain, Jack Powell, Christian Mbulu, Keaton Wood, Kris Twardek, Harry Donovan, Mikael Ndjoli, Ebere Eze, Kyron Farrell

SUBS: Harry Girling, Rian Bray, Alex Mulrooney-Skinner

Swansea made a bright start in the rain at Landore with the Under-21s attacking from kick-off, midfielder Ryan Hedges fired just wide on five minutes.

Moments later Tom King in the Millwall goal saved a shot from Dan James inside the area.

The visitors first chance came after a quarter of an hour when Kris Twardek saw his shot well saved and held by Gregor Zabret in the Swans net.

The Swans best spell of the half came minutes later as a Dan James pass found Oliver McBurnie, his shot hitting the post. The lively James then stole the ball for the rebound, his effort cannoning off the cross bar for a goalkick.

Millwall had half-chances through Mikael Ndjoli and Ebere Eze up front, the Swans also testing King through a Hedges.

The sides looked to be going in level at the break until defender Keston Davies nailed a powerful header into the back of the net from a Henry Jones corner to give the young Swans the lead on the stroke of half-time.

HALF-TIME: Swans U21s 1 - 0 Millwall U21s 

The Swans could have doubled their lead minutes into the restart only for Henry Jones curling free-kick to be palmed round the post for a corner.

Swansea looked good for their lead but a mix-up in the Swans defence minutes later let striker Mikael Ndjoli in to slot home an equaliser.

Midfielder Adnan Maric looked to get the lead back straight away only to see his shot sail wide.

Swans striker Oliver McBurnie headed a shot just over from a good cross from Ryan Hedges on 55 minutes, minutes later a good break from Millwall saw Zabret save a low shot from Ndjoli trying his luck for a second.

McBurnie saw his shot from the edge of the area saved on the hour mark before midfielder Adnan Maric rattled the crossbar ten minutes from time. 

Despite further chances from both sides the score was level after 90 minutes sending the match to extra-time.

FULL-TIME: Swans U21s 1 - 1 Millwall U21s


Both side battled in the rain at Landore during the 30 minutes of extra-time, Oliver McBurnie's fierce shot just over the bar the closest effort for the home side during the first-half. 

Meanwhile Swans keeper Gregor Zabret saved an effort from midfielder Twardek to keep the scores level.

Despite continued pressure from the development side it was the Lions who took advantage of the wet conditions, winning the ball back from a slip in defence to play in Ndjoli who fired home a last gasp effort to win the game.