Swansea City Under-23s Blackburn

19th September

Swansea City Under-23s maintained their unbeaten home record in Premier League 2 (Division 2) with a 2-1 win against Blackburn Rovers at Landore on Monday.
It was Rovers who took the lead as defender Matthew Platt was on the end of a free-kick to slot home from close range.
But the Swans were on level terms before half-time as midfielder George Byers fired home from a short corner to equalise minutes before the break.
Daniel James' penalty five minutes after the restart secured all three points after Joe Rodon was adjudged to have been fouled in the box.

Swansea City Under-23s made two changes to the side that narrowly lost against Middlesbrough in Premier League 2 (Division 2) last week.
The midfield pair of Daniel James and George Byers returned from injury to start against Blackburn while Oli McBurnie continued upfront with 25-year-old Australian Mark Birighitti keeping his place in goal as the Swans' only overage player.

SWANS U23s: Mark Birighitti, Tyler Reid, Aaron Lewis, Tom Holland (Ryan Blair, 84), Keston Davies (capt), Joe Rodon, Daniel James, Adnan Maric, Oli McBurnie (Botti Biabi, ht), George Byers, Alex Bray (Owain Jones, 84).

SUBS NOT USED: Tom Plezier, Gregor Zabret (GK).

BLACKBURN U23s: Andrew Fisher, Lewis Travis, Jack Doyle, Joseph Grayson, Tyler Magloire, Matthew Platt, Joseph Rankin-Costello, Willem Tomlinson, Lewis Mansell, Lewis Hardcastle, Ramirez Howarth (Tre Pemberton, 65).

SUBS NOT USED: Joshua Askew, Ben Ashcroft, Charley Doyle.

The young Swans found themselves a goal down inside ten minutes after defender Matthew Platt stabbed home a free-kick aimed at the far post.

Excellent passing found Daniel James on the edge of the area, the winger's shot going just wide of Andrew Fisher's post on 18 minutes.

Moments later Oli McBurnie turned his man on the edge of the area to create space before firing at goal, but his attempt was just wide of the target.

McBurnie turned provider just after the half-hour mark as his pinpoint pass found Alex Bray. The winger drove into the box only to shot off target.

The Swans were level minutes before half-time, however, as midfielder George Byers fired home a short corner.

HALF TIME: Swans U23s 1 - 1 Blackburn U23s

Swansea raced out of the blocks in the second half and nearly took the lead as Tyler Reid's dangerous cross from the right just failed to meet Daniel James and substitute Botti Biabi.

A push on defender Joe Rodon saw the Swans awarded a penalty five minutes after the restart. James stepped up to fire a low shot past Fisher into the corner of the net to give the Swans the lead.

Swans captain Davies almost added a third minutes later only for his header to fall inches wide of the target.

Blackburn battled to get back on level terms as full-back Lewis Travis whipped a dangerous ball into the box only for the effort to drop wide.

Swansea defended their lead bravely in the closing stages of the game with the defence denying Tre Pemberton, Lewis Mansell and Lewis Hardcastle.

Biabi saw his header narrowly over the bar before the full-time whistle, with the hosts securing their third home win.