Swansea City Under-23s Bristol City

9th March 2017

Goals from Oli McBurnie, George Byers and Jordan Garrick ensured Swansea City Under-23s beat Bristol City 4-0 at Ashton Gate to progress to the last-16 of the Premier League Cup.
McBurnie's first-half volley gave the the Swans the lead just after the half-hour mark before Byers tapped home a cross from Daniel James minutes after the restart.
McBurnie netted the third from the penalty spot after Robins defender Cameron Pring was adjudged to have handled in the area while winger Jordan Garrick netted a fourth in stoppage-time. 
Victory ensures the Swans finish second in the Group A table and progress to the knock-out stage of the competition.

Swansea City Under-23s made four changes to the side that took victory against West Brom in Premier League 2 (Division2) on Monday.
Lewis Thomas returned in goal to replace Gregor Zabret for the final group game in the Premier League Cup.
There was also a starting place for Dutch defender Tom Plezier, while Jack Evans was back in midfield with Aaron Lewis starting on the wing.
Bristol City forward Diego de Girolamo returned from his loan at Cheltenham Town to feature for the Robins.

BRISTOL CITY U23s: Jojo Wollacott, Charlie Harris (Jake Andrews, 58), Cameron Pring, Jack Challis, Kodi Lyons-Foster (Shawn McCoulsky, 58), Lloyd Kelly, Joe McNulty, Ashley Harper, Diego de Girolamo, Jonny Smith, Freddie Hinds. 
UNUSED SUBS: Dennis Begovic, Aden Baldwin, Osagi Bascome.

SWANS U23s: Lewis Thomas, Connor Roberts, Tom Plezier (Daniel James, 46), Jack Evans, Tyler Reid, Joe Rodon, Jordan Garrick, Adnan Marić, Oli McBurnie, George Byers (Adam King, 74), Aaron Lewis.
UNUSED SUBS: Gregor Zabret, Ryan Blair.

Swansea had the majority of the early chances at Ashton Gate as George Byers and Connor Roberts linked up well on the right wing in the opening minutes, but the final ball could not find a team-mate in the box.
Moments later midfielder Adnan Maric saw his effort on goal blocked for a corner before Jordan Garrick's shot was forced wide by Robins defender Lloyd Kelly after the winger broke into the box.
Bristol City kept possession well in the first period but failed to find a breakthrough in the final third. The home side's best chance came from striker Diego de Girolamo after the Italian turned his man in the box to fire a vicious shot narrowly over the bar midway through the half.
Swansea broke the deadlock just after the half-hour mark as a free-kick from Byers found McBurnie at the far post, and he volleyed past Jojo Wollacott to give the U23s the lead.
The Swans controlled the rest of the half as a deflected shot from McBurnie was saved by Wollacott seconds before the whistle as the visitors took a narrow lead into the break.

HALF-TIME: Bristol City U23s 0-1 Swans U23s

Swansea had the opportunity to double their lead minutes after the restart as Roberts flashed a shot inches wide of the post from the edge of the area.
That did not matter, though, as substitute Daniel James made an impact minutes later as the winger used his pace to beat Charlie Harris at the byline to cut into the box before he teed up Byers, and he tapped home the Swans' second from close range. 
The home side looked for an instant reply as de Girolamo found space on the edge of the box to fire a 20-yard drive just wide.
The Swans continued to look dangerous on the attack as Byers' cross almost found Garrick in the area for a third. The midfielder then set up Maric inside the area minutes later only for the Swede to place his shot wide from ten yards.
The visitors were awarded a penalty in the 74th minute as Robins defender Cameron Pring was adjudged to have handled in the box. McBurnie stepped up to beat Wollacott from 12 yards and put the game beyond doubt.
The U23s continued to control large spells as Garrick missed the target before Wollacott saved efforts from James and substitute Adam King.
But Garrick made sure the Swans did add a fourth as the winger tapped home a rebound in stoppage-time to ensure they progress to the knockout stage of the competition.