Swansea City Under-23s Stoke City

31st October 2016

A goal in each half saw Swansea City Under-23s record a third straight win in Premier League 2 on Monday with a 2-1 victory over ten man Stoke City at Landore.
The young Swans took the lead inside 15 minutes through Oli McBurnie's strike from the edge of the area.
The Potters were back on level terms through substitute Tyrese Campbell in the second half before Alex Samuel's close-range effort put the Swans back into the lead.
Stoke were reduced to ten men as Liam Edwards saw red before full time with Swansea claiming their seventh league win of the season.

Leaders Swansea City Under-23s made four changes to the side that beat Aston Villa in Premier League 2 last week.
Goalkeeper Gerhard Tremmel and midfielder Jay Fulton were in the starting XI while the young Swans also had first-team experience from Stephen Kingsley and Argentine international Federico Fernandez in defence.

SWANS U23s: Gerhard Tremmel, Tyler Reid, Stephen Kingsley, Jay Fulton, Keston Davies (capt, Joe Rodon, 87), Federico Fernandez, Alex Samuel, Ryan Blair, Oli McBurnie, George Byers (Tom Holland, 90), Owain Jones (Adnan Maric, ht).
SUBS NOT USED: Gregor Zabret, Botti Biabi.

STOKE U23s: Harry Isted, Thomas Edwards, Lewis Banks (capt), Danny Jarvis, Liam Edwards, Ryan Sweeney, Mark Waddington, Sergio Molina (Tyrese Campbell, 63), Julian Ngoy, Ollie Shenton, Thibaud Verlinden.
SUBS NOT USED: Daniel Gyollai, Lasse Sorenson, Luis Da Silva, Cameron McJannet.

Stoke raced out of the blocks at Landore and attacked from the kick off as defender Thomas Edwards' cross from the right almost found striker Ollie Ngoy in the box.
Minutes later, experienced German goalkeeper Gerhard Tremmel was down well to save from Ngoy's low drive at goal.
Swansea slowly began to gain possession in the game and almost took the lead inside ten minutes as a cross from the right found Oli McBurnie in the box only for the striker's header to drop just wide of the target.
But the young Swans did take the lead just before the quarter of an hour mark as a through ball found Owain Jones, and whden the winger's strike was parried by Potters keeper Harry Isted into the path of McBurnie, the striker fired home from the edge of the area.
The young Swans continued to attack and almost doubled the lead minutes later Jones raced down the right flank before cutting inside and unleashing a stinging shot which was tipped over the bar by Isted.
Byers' teasing free-kick tested the Potters' keeper on the half-hour mark before their defence scrambled the ball away.
Fulton fired his 25-yard drive wide after 37 minutes before Swans winger Jones shot was denied by the legs of Isted once again.

HALF-TIME: Swans U23s 1-0 Stoke City U23s

Swansea looked to double their lead minutes after the restart as Byers' hard work in midfield almost found McBurnie.
Tremmel saved Potters captain Lewis Banks' close-range strike minutes later to keep the Swans lead in tact.
The German keeper was again called into action ten minutes into the second half as he saved from the quick feet of NGoy as the striker carved his way into the box.
Stoke were level after 66 minutes when substitute Tyrese Campbell broke down the left flank and into the area before firing his third attempt past Tremmel.
But Swansea retook the lead ten minutes later as a cross from substitute Adnan Maric found Alex Samuel inside the area, and the young striker fired a low shot past Isted who took a touch before the ball trickled over the line.
The Potters continued to search for something from the game and went close to levelling when Thibaud Verlinden's cross found Mark Waddington in the area, only for the midfielder's effort to hit the crossbar.
Stoke were reduced to ten men inside the last ten minutes as Liam Edwards recieved a second yellow for a late foul.
Maric went close to adding a third in the closing stages with a free-kick, but the final whistle confirmed the U23s' third consecutive league win to keep the side top of the league.