Swansea City Wimbledon Checkatrade Trophy

30th August 2016

A Swansea City side mixed with youth and experience fell to a 3-0 defeat against League One side AFC Wimbledon in their opening Checkatrade Trophy Group B match at Kingsmeadow on Tuesday.
The home side took the lead through Andy Barcham's deflected strike before half-time, while a brace from midfielder Dom Poleon after the break secured Wimbledon all three points to ensure they top Group B after one game.

Coaches Cameron Toshack and Gary Richards used four first-team professionals in the starting XI with experienced keeper Gerhard Tremmel named in goal.
Jay Fulton, who scored his first professional goal for the Swans in the 3-1 EFL Cup win over Peterbrough United earlier this month, started in midfield.
There were also starting places for Franch left-back Frank Tabanou and Dutchman Marvin Emnes on the wing.
Swansea also lined up with academy products Aaron Lewis, Alex Bray, Owain Jones and captain Keston Davies in their starting XI.

WIMBLEDON: Ryan Clarke, Barry Fuller (Capt), Will Nightingale, George Francomb, Sean Kelly, Tom Beere, Dean Parrett, Jake Reeves (Dannie Bulman, 64), Tyrone Barnett, Dom Poleon, Andy Barcham (David Fitzpatrick, 64).
SUBS NOT USED: James Shea, Jon Meades, Tom Elliot, Lyle Taylor.

SWANS: Gerhard Tremmel, Aaron Lewis, Keston Davies (Capt), Tyler Reid, Frank Tabanou, Jay Fulton, Ryan Blair (George Byers, 64), Alex Bray (Jordan Garrick, 86), Owain Jones (Tom Holland, 64), Marvin Emnes, Botti Biabi.

SUBS NOT USED: Gregor Zabret, Jack Evans, Alex Samuel, Dan Jefferies.

Swansea went on the attack early at Kingsmeadow as full-back Aaron Lewis saw his whipped cross from the right flank gathered by Dons keeper Ryan Clarke.

At the other end, Swans keeper Gerhard Tremmel clawed away a cross from Tyrone Barnett before the ball was headed out of danger by Tyler Reid.

Owain Jones' pacey run into the box from the left wing saw him beat two Wimbledon defenders before the youngster was denied a shot at goal.

Tremmel then saved a header from Barnett before keeping out Dom Poleon's shot with his feet.

A slow first half saw few chances on goal but it was Wimbledon who took advantage in the 37th minute as a neat one-two played in Dons winger Andy Barcham to fire a low show past Tremmel with the help of a slight deflection.

Dons midfielder Dean Parrett saw his shot saved by the Swans keeper minutes later with the home side leading narrowly at the break.

HALF-TIME: Wimbledon 1 - 0 Swansea City

Swansea immediately looked for a equaliser in the second half as Owain Jones saw his counter attack blocked in the area.

Meanwhile, Wimbledon looked to double their advantage as Poleon saw his shot deflected for a corner.

However, the Swans could not keep out his effort moments later as the midfielder raced onto a loose ball after Tremmel parried a shot before firing home from close range.

The home side furthered their advantage in the 66th minute as substitute winger David Fitzpatrick found the dangerous Poleon inside the area, and he slotted home the Dons' third of the night.

Tremmel saved Barnett's header later in the half before Emnes saw two efforts palmed over the bar by Clarke in the final moments.