Swansea City's Leap Year memories

29th February 2020
First team

When Swansea City face Blackburn this afternoon, it will mark one of the rare occurrences where the Swans have played on the additional day of a leap year.

This will be just the fifth occasion where they have played a Premier League, EFL, FA Cup or League Cup fixture on February 29.

Here, we look back at those previous instances, which happen to include one of the club’s greatest-ever victories.

Liverpool 1 Swansea Town 2

FA Cup quarter-final - February 29, 1964

Arguably Swansea's finest FA Cup moment came on their march to the semi-finals in 1964.

The Swans had seen off Barrow, Sheffield United and Stoke City to set-up this last-eight clash in front of over 52,000 fans at Anfield on Leap Year's Day.

The Reds were on their way to the First Division title, while Swansea were battling to avoid relegation from the second tier and few gave them any hope of an upset.

But they led 2-0 at half-time thanks to goals from Jimmy McLaughlin and Eddie Thomas.

A backs-to-the-wall effort followed with goalkeeper Noel Dwyer turning in a famous performance between the sticks.

Liverpool pulled one back and looked set to level when they were awarded a penalty in the closing stages, only for Ronnie Moran to fail to find the target.

The Swans went on to lose to Preston in the last four at Villa Park.

Hartlepool United 0 Swansea City 1

Third Division – February 29, 1992

The Swans dominated this encounter, played in blustery conditions and on a bone-dry pitch at Victoria Park.

However, they looked set to miss out on the three points after spurning a glut of chances until a sharp counter-attack ended with Steve Thornber sealing just a third away win of the season for Frank Burrows' charges.

Swansea City 0 Birmingham City 1

Division Two – February 29, 1980

A missed penalty proved costly for John Toshack’s Swans as they were beaten by Birmingham at The Vetch.

Blues winger Steve Lynex grabbed the only goal of the game after a rare error from Robbie James.

The Swans still had the chance to snatch a point when David Giles was fouled in the area, but Tommy Craig saw his spot-kick saved.

Charlton Athletic 4 Swansea Town 1

Division Two – February 29, 1936

The Swans were well-beaten at The Valley as a first-half onslaught saw Charlton run out handsome victors.

Goals from George Robinson, Harold Hobbis and Don Welsh saw the Addicks race into a commanding lead with barely half an hour played.

A fourth followed for Ralph Allen, with a Sid Lawrence penalty nothing but a crumb of consolation for the visitors.