Today's media round-up

27th August 2013

Following Sunday's defeat at White Hart Lane, Angel Rangel talks about Tottenham's penalty and de Guzman speaks about his training ground collision with Dirk Kuyt.

South Wales Evening Post
Rangel: penalty call was harsh

Angel Rangel questioned referee Neil Swarbrick's decision to award Tottenham a second-half penalty as Swansea City lost 1-0 at White Hart Lane.
The official pointed to the spot after Andros Townsend tumbled under the challenge of Jonjo Shelvey.
But replays suggested there was minimal contact between the players.
Though Swansea can feel harshly treated in that instance, Swarbrick failed to award the hosts what looked a clear spot-kick in the first half.
On that occasion Shelvey bundled into Townsend, but the referee awarded a free-kick.
"I haven't seen that one, just the one in the second half on the video at the end of the game," said Rangel.
"Maybe the first one was, but we've seen a replay a few times of the penalty that was given and it doesn't look clear that it was.
"It was a shame really because it was looking like we would get a draw."
That Roberto Soldado effort from 12 yards proved the difference between the sides.
Michel Vorm had to be at his best to deny Andre Villas-Boas's side on a number of occasions, while Swansea only rarely threatened.
"A draw would have been good because we played away against a big team in the league and they've got six points out of six points with two penalties. That's football," added Rangel.
"I thought they played well, especially in the first half.
"But we did okay as well."

Wales Online
de Guzman admits fears after horror training ground collision

Swansea City's Jonathan de Guzman admitted he was scared after being knocked unconscious during a Dutch training session.
The 25-year-old has made a swift recovery from his horrific collision with teammate Dirk Kuyt, coming on as a second-half substitute in the Europa League victory over Romanian side Petrolul Ploiesti last Thursday and starting in Sunday's 1-0 defeat at Tottenham Hotspur.
Yet only a week earlier de Guzman was a stricken figure as he was stretchered from their Faro training pitch the night before the Netherlands' friendly with Portugal.
And the midfielder said his whole family were shocked by the incident which left de Guzman needing eight stitches in a nasty gash above his right eye.
Former Liverpool striker Kuyt's eye was also so badly swollen it looked as if he had been involved in a fight.
"It was an ugly collision, we didn't see each other and I was out for quite a while," said de Guzman speaking about the accident for the first time.
"I think it was about a minute and when I came around I didn't realise what was going on.
"I think everyone was shocked by the noise the collision made, the way I fell and because I was unconscious.
"I didn't know what happened. The doctor asked me what day it was and I said Wednesday.
"But I corrected myself afterwards and said it was Tuesday.
"It was scary because you're never sure how a collision or being unconscious could affect you.
"My family heard it as news goes pretty fast on social media these days, so when I got my phone I had a lot of missed calls and messages.
"I was scared and my family were scared. But luckily I was allowed to go home so I didn't have to spend the night at the hospital."
The collision - the result of a passing drill in a group with a lot of players running between each other - has proved a hit on YouTube with the incident receiving well over 100,000 views. And though de Guzman has seen the footage himself, he admits that he won't be watching it again.
"It's not really nice to see," he said. "I saw it a couple of times and that was enough.
"You can't see it up close and I can't remember it. But Dirk's probably the one of the worst guys to knock yourself into!
"He's a very strong guy and he had an ugly bash on his eye.
"I was out a little longer than he was, but he had a lot of blood gushing from his eye."
The Swans loanee was ruled out for two weeks after the accident and missed the Premier League opener with Manchester United the following weekend.
But he returned quicker than expected and featured in the 5-1 victory over Ploiesti, even helping set up Alejandro Pozuelo for Swansea's fifth goal.
He was then restored to the starting line-up at Spurs where he made an encouraging start before fading against Tottenham's athletic midfield.
"It's been good to get back and get some minutes," he said.
"It took me about a week to really feel fit and join up with the group again, but it was a quick recovery.
"I thought I would have a longer lay-off, but I felt better each day as the days went on and had some good treatment."